AuthorTopic: Mandy the Manticore  (Read 4381 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Mandy the Manticore

on: December 01, 2006, 05:35:43 am
A generic manticore. Was originally going to be for the chimera challenge until I managed to think of something more in line with the spirit of the challenge.
Most features of the non-winged form (the winged form strikes me a rather pointless, may a well be a dragon in that case).
Only real lack is the single row of teeth (rather than three rows), but I couldn't think of how to pack that many teeth in with out making the already over large mouth more so, or making the teeth piffling little needles, but it's supposed to be a man eater, not a fish eater. An ideas on this would be appreciated.

This took far too long.

2^4 - 2 colours.

Technique:
  • Roughed sketch the line work at a large size with tablet
  • Block colours
  • Scaled down to pixel size
  • Pixel work
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 12:04:23 am by surt »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Mandy the Manticore

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 06:10:46 am
Your texturing ability is amazing. This is looking good surt  :y:.

I got a few minor discrepancies though.
-the last 'node' (donno what else to call it) on his tail looks like it's facing the wrong direction.  I think it'd look much better if it was flipped horizontally, so the 'stinger' continues with the curve of the tail.
-there are some stray pixels along the outline of the body; on the tail, this works to your advantage, as it adds to the texture, but around the reddish parts, the legs, belly, and arms, these strays only seem to make it look messy.
-also, I can't pinpoint it exactly because I lack the proper anatomical knowledge, but there's something wrong with the legs/feet. Whether they're too short, or aren't sitting right on the feet or what ever, I don't know what it is, but it looks off.

But on a lighter note, I love the spikes on his back.  His head, especially the beard and teeth, look great.  Nice job so far, keep it up!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline hidden killer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 08:33:21 am
wow that sure looks awesome
and about that last node, its part where it joins the tail should be on our side and not the other side
that is if the part where it touches the tail is shown, it will face the right direction
and nice amount of colors used as well :)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 04:00:12 am
-the last 'node' (donno what else to call it) on his tail looks like it's facing the wrong direction. I think it'd look much better if it was flipped horizontally, so the 'stinger' continues with the curve of the tail.
If I understand what you mean then it would be like non of the scorpion reference images I've seen. This is the primary reference I used: http://www.friendsofsaguaro.org/scorpion.jpg
Though I only really refered to it early on and now I see the stinger isn't very accurate.

-there are some stray pixels along the outline of the body; on the tail, this works to your advantage, as it adds to the texture, but around the reddish parts, the legs, belly, and arms, these strays only seem to make it look messy.
Those aren't strays, they were put there deliberately to make the fur more like fur. When it had a clean outline it didn't look right.

-also, I can't pinpoint it exactly because I lack the proper anatomical knowledge, but there's something wrong with the legs/feet. Whether they're too short, or aren't sitting right on the feet or what ever, I don't know what it is, but it looks off.
I can see what you mean but I'm not really shure of how to fix. Edits from anyone would be appreciated.

and about that last node, its part where it joins the tail should be on our side and not the other side
that is if the part where it touches the tail is shown, it will face the right direction
Do you mean as though the tail is leaning into the image? The tail is meant to be held pretty much directly over the spine.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 02:28:45 pm
I have no crits to offer, I'd just like to claim my admiration for this piece, and other of your recent works. Nice!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 02:32:46 pm by Turbo »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 12:05:25 am

Lengthened the tail and corrected stinger.

Tried shifting the left-rear paw and I think it looks a little better, but still wrong.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 05:55:24 pm
I would not want to get into a fight with that!  :o It looks pretty good.