AuthorTopic: How would you improve this house?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

How would you improve this house?

on: July 06, 2018, 12:10:00 pm

Just looking for some critique on the house and suggestions on how to improve it.

Thanks

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: How would you improve this house?

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:45:42 am
Could you provide a basic sketch of how the house looks when seen from the sides? Nothing fancy is needed, I am guessing the roof is symmetrical, and that the perspective is like that from the Gauntlet games (take a look at Surt's Gauntlet-like tilesets to see what I mean):

https://opengameart.org/content/gauntlet-like-tiles
However it could be that the perspective is actually 2:1 isometric but front faced, and the roof is asymmetrical, with the front slope more inclined than the one on the back. It could also be that the roof has only one slope on the front and the back is supposed to be flat, there is no way to tell because we don't know the perspective and how the roof looks in a side view.

If the roof is symmetrical and the perspective is gauntlet-ish, then I believe the pitch (roof inclination) of the top part would need to be exactly the same of the lower parts, for the back part of both the top and the bottom roofs to look completely hidden from view and aligned with each other, like they currently look.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:00:39 am by Vinik »

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 03:45:05 am

Basically something like that.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 05:45:36 pm
Yep that is what I thought. In the gauntlet perspective trick, you choose one degree of enclination and you align that with the camera so that surfaces on that angle become a line. However, that only works with that single angle of slope, so if you do that for the top roof (more sloped), the lower roof which is less sloped should have its back slope visible, even if very squished.
Alternatively you could decide that the angle that aligns is the one of the lower roof, but then the whole building would be seen from a lower perspective, and the lower roof would cover less of the door and the front wall, while the top roof would extend beyond the back limit of the lower roof.

Or you can ignore my geometry nitpicking altogether and slam it as an intentional cheating like so many games do lol.
Also, I don't quite like what you did where the top of the pillars support the roof, shouldn't those corners be symmetrical? I don't think they look very much like real wooden architecture.

That said, I liked how you actually applied perspective by covering a lot the wall and door with the lower roof, people tend to make very wrongly frontal looking houses on top down, and your stand out like being much more correct.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:52:54 pm by Vinik »

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:30:45 pm
Thanks for the crits, yeah I am not above intentional cheating :p though I probably shouldn't take the easy way where I can, I only worry if I extend the limits of the lower roof slope to appear behind the deeper roof slope it might look a little weird in some way, I suppose there is no harm in trying it out and seeing if I can get it to look right.

As for the beams holding up the roof, yeah I have no idea what I am doing there, kind of want to do something a little more interesting than just straight beams but not sure what that is at the moment.

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 01:17:05 pm
Bit long since my last post on this but decided to revisit it.

Tried showing the back part of the lower roof but it just did not look right so I decided to hide it behind the peak of the upper roof slope.

Still unsure how to texture the walls coloured in a light shade of purple, also not sure to do with the doors and windows, also pretty sure there are some other things people can pick out that need to be improved.

Here is a version with shadows for the parts underneath the roof overhang.