AuthorTopic: Need help to improve myself.  (Read 1654 times)

Offline FezMonki

• View Profile

Need help to improve myself.

on: July 05, 2018, 10:28:36 pm
Hi everyone, I come to thou for guidance on the path to absolute pixel mastery and domination ::)
I am not completely new to pixels, but I am new to art. Basically I have just fiddled with mostly monochrome pixels in the process of making icons for various projects of mine, as such:

But now, having abundant free time while I wait for others in my current game project, I would like to really get into it hard and start building and hoarding assets for the next game I would like to make.
So I present to you Bob, and male and female base sprites, all at (what should be) a 45 degree rpg style angle, I spent an embarassing amount of hours trying to get right yesterday:

The idea is to use them in game at 300%, so zoom up.
I would really appreciate if you told me what I got right and what I got wrong, and by all means feel free to molest them if you please, for show and tell. I'd like to get them right before I move on to culture myself on palettes, as I just snatched these off a preset in Aseprite.

By the way it's my first time drawing humans, or drawing in general since I was a child, so I would appreciate anatomy pointers too. I tried to reference photos on google as best I could for shape and shading.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:52:02 am by FezMonki »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Need help to improve myself.

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:34:12 am
I dig the icons, especially the bottom 2. Actually doing something similar ATM, 2 colors and a handful of pixels really tests you.

But enough about the icons. Here's a rough edit of the bases:

These people have weird things going on around the collarbone, actually looks like they have none. Entire shoulder area lacks definition as well.
Fixed rubber limbs/trunk legs.
Observe also the shading added here. Shading goes a long way in selling this perspective. I.E. shadows under the neck, legs, other places. Dark forearms/lower legs is a bit of a cheat, but the formula works usually.
[Will edit in more later]

Glad you asked for help. Keep at it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 11:43:33 am by pistachio »

Offline Nives

• View Profile

Re: Need help to improve myself.

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:48:47 pm
Hello FezMonki,

I don't have any advice because I'm not very good at pixel art, but I really liked the people templates you made so I put some clothes on one of them.  It's crummy but I thought I'd share it anyway.  I'd like to see if you have anything new in this style.