AuthorTopic: character sprite  (Read 2546 times)

Offline NAPREDATOR

• View Profile

character sprite

on: July 04, 2018, 08:09:45 pm
i've been struggling to make this thing look good for a while.

left=mine
right=shining force 2

i'm quite happy with the lower half but i think the top looks dreadful, do you think the guy who made the shining force 2 sprite put that thing where his shoulders are there because he couldn't make the sprite look good without it? also no idea what to do about the hair.

Offline BasseBoi

• View Profile

Re: character sprite

Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:39:10 am

I just redid the hair, i gave it shadow and a extra highlight. Im not good with this kind of style, but i do think it would be good to add shadow to the hair
B^)

Offline NAPREDATOR

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 12:00:45 pm
thanks i think your right, though i should have mentioned the palette i'm using can't go that dark. also i went back on an older sprite and tweaked it up a bit including your suggestion, think i need to make it taller she looks fat

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:02:48 pm by NAPREDATOR »

Offline NAPREDATOR

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 05:27:56 am
here's another version i started working on, i'm struggling to make it look like the cape is draped over her arm, i think i want to add the brightest green into the mix somehow too.

does this look better than the other two?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 01:15:56 pm
I think excluding the bright green might be for the best. You could add it back on the shoulders to draw attention there, but keep it minimal so that it's not distracting.

The folds on this new cape don't make any sense. Capes drape, and they're held up by shoulders. This means the shoulders are the tension points. This means the folds on a cape will either be tubes like you drew before, or crescent shapes where the tips of the crescent will point towards the shoulders, or most likely both. If you look up "cape back" and similar online, you should find some reference images to help you figure out how the fabric would act. You could also grab some fabric yourself and experiment in front of a mirror.

What was making the cape/body look flat before was the position  of the folds, it didn't look like there was a body behind them. Sketch in the body, it might make it easier to figure out how to draw the cape. It might also turn out that parts of the body should be visible.

Offline NAPREDATOR

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 07:45:21 pm
I think excluding the bright green might be for the best. You could add it back on the shoulders to draw attention there, but keep it minimal so that it's not distracting.

The folds on this new cape don't make any sense. Capes drape, and they're held up by shoulders. This means the shoulders are the tension points. This means the folds on a cape will either be tubes like you drew before, or crescent shapes where the tips of the crescent will point towards the shoulders, or most likely both. If you look up "cape back" and similar online, you should find some reference images to help you figure out how the fabric would act. You could also grab some fabric yourself and experiment in front of a mirror.

What was making the cape/body look flat before was the position  of the folds, it didn't look like there was a body behind them. Sketch in the body, it might make it easier to figure out how to draw the cape. It might also turn out that parts of the body should be visible.

thanks alot pal you've been very helpful, my biggest problem was i couldn't find the right reference for the pose, so i ended up doing what you said and took a picture of myself (which was awkward lol), hopefully i'll be able to put something decent together with this.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 09:39:57 pm
Try to study many related poses and items of clothing, to understand them and how they tend to work. That way, you'll be able to draw things without having an exact reference, or even a reference at all.