donald

on: November 30, 2006, 10:24:25 pm
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline eqko

• ehr !?
    • View Profile

Re: donald

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 10:34:14 pm
Not sure what he's in love with but that's looking good.

Now for the crits (if you're having them)
At 2x he appears to have some feline features though, intended or not ?
(think vincent from that wayback beauty and the beast tv series)
his backwards arm goes into shadow/darkens pretty fast perhaps add a slight remembrance of the color of his skin instead of just grey ?
Also, that dark patch on his shoulder, appears to be rather sudden/sharp could use a rounder transition.

that said, I really DO like it ...
previously known as equinoxx

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 10:58:00 pm
That's NICE! The palette works well. You  let yourself be inspired by helm, no? I mean the use of those 45° lines seems pretty obvious, but also the palette does remind me of his stuff. I love the skull-like facial features; the background on the other hand isn't my cup of tea. I find this blocky stuff, especially that pile to the right almost obstrusive. I'd go for something fainter, maybe a little less random and more simplified even. That brake at the bottom could be used as thorough AA-practice, if you feel up to it :).

I'm not sure if I agree with equinoxx on the harsh shadows. I mean it should work if pulled off consistently, and I can't spot any major irregularities, but if you look at it some time it does stick out. The fading dark arm itself looks good though.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 11:00:09 pm
that dark patch on his shoulder, appears to be rather sudden/sharp could use a rounder transition.
I'm not sure about that. It's a cast shadow from his head, and there's harsh shadow everywhere on this piece, so I think it might look too soft or just incorrect if he makes a smoother transition.

I wish you would've at least anti-aliased the black lines at the bottom. They seem like a cheap addon because you didn't want to do the feet and threw in some vines or something. Even if that's not your reason for doing it, because I'm sure you're capable of drawing the full human figure, it seems that way.

EDIT: Fucking miascugh. Say everything I do two minutes before me D:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:01:48 pm by Blick »

Offline eqko

• ehr !?
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 11:25:39 pm
I'm not sure about that. It's a cast shadow from his head, and there's harsh shadow everywhere on this piece, so I think it might look too soft or just incorrect if he makes a smoother transition.

it's not so much about smoothing it out as it is about making it a less straight line right now, the shadows left side is just a straigt line down, imo adding a pixel to the top and bottom moved one to the left gives it a rounder appearance ... might be just me nitpicking though.
previously known as equinoxx

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 02:05:20 am
eeee, I'll go aa the rest of the bottom because I think it'd be a good idea also.

bbl
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY