AuthorTopic: [CC] Top-down Shooter Mock  (Read 2147 times)

Offline dookillyou

• View Profile

[CC] Top-down Shooter Mock

on: June 28, 2018, 06:12:20 pm
Hey guys, been awhile since I posted here.
Look for some cc and feedback on a mock I did recently that was inspired by Monolith and Downwell,
Using the db32 palette.

Thanks a ton guys  :y:

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: [CC] Top-down Shooter Mock

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 05:23:04 am
Good use of the palette, but I am having some trouble reading it as something different from a platformer game ???. I think it is the dark floor, it does look more like a subtle and dark platformer background instead of a topdown floor surface, and since there is no perspective on the wall blocks (the view is directly from above), they look ambiguously like platform-blocks.

I am very interested in a solution for your floor, since I have tried and failed to make good topdown dark floors. I tried to make them have subtle details that fade to the darkest color, in order to get some NES-style contrast and legibility, but it doesn't look so good in practice.

Offline dookillyou

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 05:36:23 am
Compared to my skill level with the style compared to the Artist in Monolith I got some work to do. and the main reason for the background is because of the style they choose to do in Monolith, I'll play around with it when I wake up though!

Heres the ref photo I used to get a better understanding of what I was trying to aim for.

Offline jjdev

• jackx5
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 07:58:03 am
The mockup is looking overall well. Great job.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:47:55 am by jjdev »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 09:51:43 am
Captured the feel pretty well :y:

Maybe add a couple more "hit" pieces, splosions, ammo, nuclear colors. Capture the busy feel that SHMUPs have (aye, even on easy difficulty.)

If I'd point out the most general thing, biggest difference between your mock and the shot from Monolith, it is that you gotta be more specific with your details.

Monolith tiles you see some nice crispy details, the hinges and the knobs in the FG.
Even in the BG you can see a lot of implied crates, frames, etc., and that's only 2 colors, pushing limits.
Whereas your tiles could be a lot tighter, FG and BG.

I know this is only in the early stages, so you will most likely continue detailing as you polish this.

Something to keep in mind.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 01:29:40 pm
Oh wait there, so the view is actually sideways? Monolith seems side-view to me, the background looks like an implied wall, the containers seem to be in side view because of the position of the opening and hinges (kinda), but then again the doors seem like cross sections of interlocked blast doors seen from above, and the ship is from above. I am equally confused by the source, so that is why I was disoriented when looking at your take then.

I agree it got the same feel, maybe a little too similar? I think you might want to distinguish your version a bit more, which you will probably do as you increase the detail. How about some cold colors on the background?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:34:28 pm by Vinik »