AuthorTopic: Amorphous [WIP]  (Read 4598 times)

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Amorphous [WIP]

on: November 30, 2006, 02:12:37 am
Well... I've been pretty far under the artistic radar lately and that makes me sad, but it's life so... Here's something:

Tell me what you think. Plz.

Offline araknidkid

• View Profile

Re: Amorphous [WIP]

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:52:44 am
I like how he's kinda stretchy lookin. I love surreal creations like that.

Anyways, on the crits.
The highlight on the middle rock is just...there. Try some dithering at the edges to make it look more subtle without changing the brightness/color of the highlight.

It's kind of hard to give it crits this early on, but I like it so far.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 04:32:23 am
Update already:

Pretty much done I'd say.

Offline hidden killer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:36:28 am
looks great
and about the idea of dithering, it depends on how u want it
i like it the way it is
clean nice and smooth shading
are u gonna add sky or something like that to it ?
oh.. and u cud AA it a little to add to the smoothness

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 04:44:04 am
I think an epic pose on a crystal cliff would be an awesome for a background.  :D

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 05:33:55 am
Oh damn, I love this  :'(.  It's really yummy; it has a very great sense of openness and freedom, which is awesome.  The color choice is spot on in my book.
My first real crit is that his left (on our right) arm looks almost as if it was an afterthought; it seems too long and the hand on it seems very out of proportion compared to his right side.  I'd say just making the hand a little bigger would help, and I fear that you'd loose the sense of freedom this has if you made the arm drastically shorter--you be the judge.
I feel that the rocks look out of their element at the moment......*nudge nudge*....this would be beautiful to see blue sky in the background, and mountains connected to the existing ones, but that's all up to you.

And I guess my biggest crit is the white dot in front of his face; get rid of it entirely or make it look more like a cloud, either way, something has to be done about it because it's attracting a lot of attention from the viewer's eye.

But other than that, I think this is a great piece so far--infact, it's almost inspiring enough to convince me to do something similar sometime.  Good job AlienQuark  :y:.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 05:50:52 am
This is looking rather excellent  :). I think HIS left hip needs to be more pronounced, as the leg kind of just"blobs" into the body, if you get me. Aside from that, I agree with the other crits already given. Oh, the shading on the rocks seems a little perculiar. Also, the darkness surrounding HIS right elbow seems out of place.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 06:38:26 am
I'd like to see some minimal highlights on the rock structure behind him, like just the edges catching some light. And I don't understand what you were going for with the big shadow on the rock closest to the character. I don't get which way the rock has to be chipped to keep a smooth line, but still have a shadow directly in the middle of it.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 07:00:27 am
Okay, some background, just so some of the elements of this make a little more sense.

I've been (slowly) piecing together a concept for how all the random things I've done in the past few years could come together in some sort of imagined world.

This particular character is called the amorphous, basically it has no defined shape, it can look any way it wants, which is why the legs "blobs" into the body, because essentially the entire thing is blob like. As for the single white ball in front of his "face", that is a key aspect of that character when I draw it, and is therefore essential that it's there ( I haven't worked out an intricate reason why yet, but there is one, my brain tells me so). Also, the rocks being out of their element is because every time I draw this guy on paper, he is in fact next to mountains, and is essentially MAKING the mountains. The basic premise for all the jutting bits, is that these amorphous things create the landscape of the world. So every part of that world are both created and absorbed by these beings. That may not make sense to people here, but it's what I've come up with, and I'm really pumped about the ideas I've managed to come up with.

This is probably my most worked out character, next to my skeleton kid () who is basically my main character right now.

Anyways, background aside, on to the technical aspects of this piece.

Now, as for the rocks, I am bad when it comes to knowing how to shade them, and this is a perfect example. If anyone could maybe just point me in the direction of how to fix them completely, please do so, I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline Lelle

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 10:37:20 am
Heya,

Some small things; his left hand, the one closest to us is much smaller than the hand far away from us. Also the closest arm bends in 4 places while the other bends in 3 places. Maybe they are supposed to be joint-less though? If so I think they could be smoother.

It's a fantastic piece of work I say, beautiful and imaginative! :]

Cheers,

Lelle