AuthorTopic: Low Poly Birbs  (Read 7005 times)

Offline glisean

• View Profile

Low Poly Birbs

on: June 26, 2018, 01:57:43 am

My first attempt at low poly modeling. I made some birbs.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:01:57 am by glisean »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Low Poly Birbs

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 07:38:08 am
There are some topology issues. It really struggles to describe the anatomy, esp. head and ankles and you could get rid of some tris there and rethink others. Style is not an excuse. Lowpoly =/= bad topology

Next thing to do is to step up, add some sheebs and pibs :crazy:

Offline glisean

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 11:34:12 pm
There are some topology issues. It really struggles to describe the anatomy, esp. head and ankles and you could get rid of some tris there and rethink others. Style is not an excuse. Lowpoly =/= bad topology

Next thing to do is to step up, add some sheebs and pibs :crazy:

I checked and I'm not really seeing the tris you're talking about. My edge loops and faces are also going all the way around the model and I recalculated the normals.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:21:02 am by glisean »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 09:35:07 am
Looking back it was a little premature. Sorry if it seemed rude.

But also speaks to problems with presentation. If you're looking to show it off it's cool, if you're looking to iron out technical issues (which is always good in the realm of CG), some wireframes or an AO render is better. If possible I want to see that to be sure.

If the mesh is clean, the triangles are most likely rendering artifacts then. But what you do have can still describe more the anatomy of chicks, esp. the legs and flow around the head.

Something like this:

Very very rough and this topology will not check out on a real mesh. Just flow and (bad) anatomy example.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:01:44 am by pistachio »

Offline glisean

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 01:58:09 am
Looking back it was a little premature. Sorry if it seemed rude.

But also speaks to problems with presentation. If you're looking to show it off it's cool, if you're looking to iron out technical issues (which is always good in the realm of CG), some wireframes or an AO render is better. If possible I want to see that to be sure.

If the mesh is clean, the triangles are most likely rendering artifacts then. But what you do have can still describe more the anatomy of chicks, esp. the legs and flow around the head.

Something like this:

Very very rough and this topology will not check out on a real mesh. Just flow and (bad) anatomy example.

I was just showing it off but it's fine, I'm still learning.

Also I intentionally left out the wings and the other parts of the anatomy, (I was just aiming for them to look like flat little blobs). But I am concerned with the way its rendering. The flow seemed fine when I checked the faces, but I am getting those artifacts.

You should also ignore the bird on the far right, as I just copied over the original model and sloppily rotated part of it so that's why it looks so wonky.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:00:39 am by glisean »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 07:41:22 pm
Good comments from pistachio I think. Topology is something to keep in mind when 3D modeling. If you want to eventually animate this (or have someone else animate it), a proper modeling is very important. Post some wire frame pics and more angles on the bird! Good luck!