AuthorTopic: Here goes an one-eyed robot-knight (WIP)  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Here goes an one-eyed robot-knight (WIP)

on: June 19, 2018, 03:11:27 am

Too much aa? I have no clue on a leg design that would fit this vintage "B-9" look and also seem functional. I am open to ideas :)
I am also not sure on how to render the rivets, they look either shallow or like depressions regardless where I put the highlight or shadow. I think I could use some critique on all the metallic highlights actually. Thanks in advance as usual  :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Here goes an one-eyed robot-knight (WIP)

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:16:26 pm
I think the AA looks fine, I don't think there's too much. On the blue bits on the arms, the AA isn't very effective though. On the steep lines it needs to be longer to work, and between the brown and light blue, I think a slightly l

The rivets on the face look good, maybe the same technique will work for the chest? Here's an edit doing them that way, but with lower contrast:

(Also a suggestion for the AA mentioned above.)

As for the legs, why not use the same approach as the arms? Pretty sure I've seen some 50s-60s robots with legs like that.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:15:46 pm
Thanks a lot eishiya, I had tried the rivets exactly like that, and somehow they looked inset rather than protruding to me, but maybe I was overthinking it.

I agree on the low angle aa, I usually fear outdoing aa or doing it too long or too gradient to avoid looking like banding. I believe I got away with it here because the surfaces are sufficiently large, when I try this level of smoothing on smaller objects things tend to get packed together and banded like hell. I will even try some "no single pixels" exercises latter but I am trying to do things on a need-to-be basis for now.

As for the legs, I dunno, accordion arms make sense I guess (bonus for being retractable), but accordion legs, how would they work and not look dumb :P? I mean, look at poor B9 here:

"please kill me"- B9

I think the my best options are: plain humanoid legs (maybe accordion joints just for styling) or wheels.

I am really liking this, and considering to make it my first pixel-joint post when it is done, even though it is still primary and without any posing :D

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 04:47:13 pm
Quick an dirty sketch of the gauntlets. I tried a faceted piece to match the chest but it didn't looked good.

Here are the current layers:

I am not liking the horns right now, they look more like bull horns and not like a metal helmet decoration shaped to resemble a horn.

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 09:19:10 pm
I think the horns fit pretty well, but I don't know what you're going for :)