AuthorTopic: [CC] Human Character Model (Updated)  (Read 1958 times)

Offline CaptainBanana

• View Profile

[CC] Human Character Model (Updated)

on: June 16, 2018, 11:11:22 am

Never posted here before, so, hello! =)
I've been tinkering around with sprites for a long time, decided I'd try to make something decent looking. I used the main character from Legend of Mana as a reference for this guy. I'm digging how it's turning out, but I know it can be better, just not sure where to go from here.
Any suggestions or comments are welcome, please feel free to edit it anyway you'd like, I'm very interested in getting some fresh viewpoints =)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:50:46 am by CaptainBanana »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [CC] Human Character Model

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 06:50:15 pm
All the different colours are hard to tell apart without zooming way in. Consider increasing the contrast and perhaps merging some of the lowest-contrast colours.

Try to avoid using pure greys, they look dull. Adding a little bit of hue to them and hue-shifting can add a lot of life. The blue and yellow bits could also use more hue-shifting.

Here's a quick edit that adds some colour to the greys and adds a little more contrast:

Lastly, it looks a little odd that the hair above his eyes is light in one view and dark in another. Even though it's not unrealistic, it looks unintentionally inconsistent.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:54:06 pm by eishiya »

Offline CaptainBanana

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 07:49:22 pm
Ah! That looks alot better! The hue shift on his hair totally makes it pop. I'll have to keep that all in mind in the future, thank you! :D

Offline CaptainBanana

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:45:25 am
Alright! So, I've been putting more work in, and have an update!   :D

I took your advice eishiya, and touched up the shadows on his hair, I didn't notice until you pointed out but they were a bit inconsistent before.
I'm pretty satisfied with most of these colors, but am still thinking about completely redoing or recoloring his shirt. How do you usually go about selecting a color palette?
I'm also debating adding another shade of color to help define his boots, what do you think? I really like how the boots on the first two came out, but I'm iffy about them on the other three. Particularly the fifth sprite, I just can't seem to wrap my head around what I should do there.

As always, happy to hear people's thoughts and suggestions!  :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [CC] Human Character Model (Updated)

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 01:21:56 pm
The front view still has more shadows above his eyes than the other views xP

I don't think you need another colour, instead I think you could work with the existing colours to make them contrast better (lighten up the dark grey or maybe even merge it with the blue of the shoes since it's not really doing any noticeable work, maybe lighten or darken the blue of the shoes since it's very similar to the dark purple of the hair/socks).

It looks like you're struggling with the form of the shoes, it seems inconsistent from sprite to sprite. When in doubt, grab some reference images! Those cartoony shoes look like they could be the same form as half of a pear (with the leg growing up out of the narrow end), so perhaps studying how light affects a pear (or half a pear) would help. You should also study feet/shoes to get a better general understanding, and then exaggerate the shape for your sprite.

As for picking colours, I usually start with the midtone, plop it down, and then pick shadows and highlights by progressively decreasing or increasing the value and shifting the hue towards some common ambient shadow/highlight colour for each colour. I use the HSV sliders instead of the RGB sliders, which make this process much easier, since I can adjust value and hue directly.

When first choosing the midtone, I don't choose it in isolation, I look at my existing colours and consider the general look I want. If I want a "blue" object, that doesn't mean my midtone will actually be blue. If the scene is meant to be warm, my "blue" might be a purplish grey or something. The goal is that it looks blue relative to the rest of the colours. This keeps the colours unified.