AuthorTopic: feedback for last piece?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Lirija

• Lirija7
    • View Profile

feedback for last piece?

on: June 11, 2018, 04:34:46 pm
Hi everyone, this one is my last piece (i hope i won't be bashed for using transparency and the blur filter):

could you give me some feedback? there is something that really doesn't work in your opinion?

P.s. i'm sorry for the 200% but i used a version i had already uploaded somewhere else
P.p.s i don't plan to tweak this anymore (but i will follow all of your suggestions in future works)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: feedback for last piece?

Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:00:30 pm
It looks strange to have both high-colour-count blends and dithering in the same piece. Choose one approach and stick to it.

When blending colours like those greyish-purple tentacles in the back and the white beams at the top, don't just do a straight blend, try to involve a third colour, or try to increase the saturation towards the middle, it looks a lot less dull and artificially-blended that way. Here's a quick and dirty edit with some additional saturated purple within the blending:

Offline Lirija

• Lirija7
    • View Profile

Re: feedback for last piece?

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 06:03:19 pm
Thank you for your feedback! I'll try to use a mid color from now on;
as for the dithering vs high-colour-count blends i wanted to go full dithering at first but i believe lights really look better the other way (some assets i checked (mostly spaceshooters) used blur for bullets / lasers, so i took inspiration from there).