AuthorTopic: Buncha Stuff.  (Read 12841 times)

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile

Re: Buncha Stuff.

Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 03:54:11 pm
I'll repeat the notion that this last piece is awesome.  It's well colored and composed.  Minimal beauty, I guess.  Seiklus, anyone?
rip ninjalicious

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 05:36:52 pm
yes, only seiklus isn't pretty.

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 06:51:10 pm
Wow guys, really, thanks for the comments. ;D
Helm: It's not necessarily "dithered," it's more of a scribbling, but it seems to blend them nice anyway. And I kinda like the feel of it.

EDIT: I would love to make a game with this, but I lack two things:
-Programming knowledge.
-Commitment.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:54:43 pm by Razz »

Offline garsh

• I'll trade you 9 mouses for a pencil.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 08:26:51 pm
I'm forced to admit: when I'm right I'm right.

I compared the before and after, swapping back anf forth between two different other windows, and not only does the darker cave look more recessive, it also looks "better". The darker color off-sets the large area of lighter green which evens out the whole composition's balance between the dark sky and the lighter ground. That's more pleasing to the eye, I think.

It gives me ideas for a game...

I can see those blocky little dudes coming ashore from that lake, (except that one who didn't make it, obviously) and then trying not to fall in those holes as they make their way in-land. It's made all the more difficult by the craggy cliff that juts out under the tree. Trying to jump up there just results in them sliding down dangerously close to the holes. Maybe they teamed up to get that little red fellow passed the cliff, but he was the only one they could manage. The others tried, but two fell in the holes, while the last one was left alone and hopeless, so he joined his friends under the ground. Ironically, he was the first to be eaten. But after their brave sacrifice, how far will their little red friend be able to make it in this strange and inhospitable land? Not much farther than the first tree he finds himself crowded by more strange ceatures. His luck might have run out, unless they don't mean to harm him after all... If not, they might be his only hope in getting over that tall standing stone on the hill. What could be on the other side?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 08:51:29 pm
there's also a cute one that drowned. The sea people have taken his soul back to the great father

I agree on the caves being darker as being better. I still say lose the random scribbling and mix properly. It's pixel art, every pixel should specifically be placed. It looks ok at 1x zoom but not any closer.

And about programming: get Game Maker. It's easy

about commitment: no idea

Offline garsh

• View Profile

scribble-dithering

Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 11:21:18 pm
^ I had to save a copy of the image and intensely adjust the contrast to see what you were getting at, Helm. I'm inclined to agree; fine at low res, a bit sloppy when magnified.

The thing is, though, even a seemingly sloppy "dither" can look really great if it's done with a certain consistency. The best example of a well done "messy" or "scribbly" dither style (especially in the interest of low color) is Yoshi's Island for SNES. You can look at just about any screen capture and it's filled with scrawling not disimilar to the heavy handed smudge of a toddler with his first jumbo Crayola. Despite that, the visuals copiously ooze beauty and artistic flair. Emulation of a style like that would benefit anybody going for casual looking pixel placement with a professional edge, I think.

Offline Razz

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 12:40:13 am
Well, I fixed up the scribbles a bit and I also attempted to dither a bit, and these are the results:

I didn't finish the dithering because I really suck at it and it wasn't turning out well anyway. I might do more work on it, probably depending on the feedback or other circumstances.

Offline garsh

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 01:44:22 am
^ It's well done dithering so far, but to tell you the truth, I like your scribbles better. The "real" dithering looks almost like you have one of those "puffy" stickers overlapping the image -- the edges seem to look like a subtle "bulge".

If you're looking for feedback to decide whether or not to finish the dithering as you started it there, I officially vote thumbs-down.

Offline PixelPusher

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 04:00:30 am
Wow! I love that last piece. I tried to pixel in the same style and mine looks like crap. Anyways, I was going to agree with the scribbling until I saw the dithering, which looks much, much better IMO. I fully agree that this would make a great game(I was thinking a click adventure like Loom, personally).

Offline Razz

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 04:11:59 am
I think the scribbles are also more consistent with the outburst in the top, right corner too. And I just like the stylistic choice for the background. I should do more little "mock up" type things.