AuthorTopic: Making an enemy for a game with my friend  (Read 2030 times)

Offline YourGodCow

• View Profile

Making an enemy for a game with my friend

on: May 31, 2018, 11:38:39 pm

Making an enemy (it is a grunt type of enemy) for a game I'm making with my friend. I haven't made a walking animation, and am just looking for improvements on my pixel art. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:45:07 pm by YourGodCow »

Offline BasseBoi

• View Profile

Re: Making an enemy for a game with my friend

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:38:21 am
maybe add som shadows, so it feels more alive. And change all the black colors to a wery darrk blue may helps
B^)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:43:48 pm
Are you trying to emulate a retro felling by making it pose like nes mario? If not, there a lot to improve on his pose which you could make much more natural with amount of pixels you have at that scale.

If the stiff posture with bent legs is intentional for a retro look (it might as well be the case), then the first thing I would do would be change the shirt color to have more contrast with the pants,  the same goes for the shoes.
Still about the shirt, perhaps change it to something less default than just a shirt while you are at it. Is he a grunt? How would he dress like if his kind existed as a species and a culture? Primitive and barbaric? Futuristic-Barbaric (space-grunt/starwars gamorrean)?

Think of an atire that fits and give a shot making the different parts with sufficiently contrasting colors, and we will surely give you input on how it comes out.

Lastly, try to redraw the head more rounded at the top, avoid perfect diagonals, and try to remake the same features (under fang sticking out, dark eyes, big nose and ears, without using single black pixels. Make the head a little larger if you need more space to show all that, it won't hurt it. Give it a try, let's see where you get with him :)

Offline YourGodCow

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 11:10:59 pm

It is more of a retro game so I maintained the pose. I changed up the pose and tried rounding out the head. I think it gave him more of a grunt look, but I had some trouble making the head look more round.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 11:15:38 pm
Unless you're making a Mario parody, it's just going to look weird or like a ripoff. I recommend coming up with a pose of your own, since that pose is so strongly associated with Mario. Retro games had a variety of characters and poses, even if you limit yourself to just the NES and older.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 12:26:10 am
What eishiya said, but even if it needs a lot of work, it is already more of its own thing now. He is a mad max style mutant-orc grunt wearing a leather jacket like a douchebag lol.

Try to draw him in another pose to get a feel of his dimensions: with his arms spread out to the sides, and his legs all stretched, change his size if you need, even if it gets higher than 32px, you will get the length of the torso sorted out later if you need to keep to the 16x16 grid.

Also he has a lot of unecessary extra colors, like his hair has 3 shades which all look the same in quick look. Use a plain color and let's shade latter when you advance in the head shape.