AuthorTopic: [CC] Spartan  (Read 3099 times)

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

[CC] Spartan

on: May 31, 2018, 06:44:58 pm

Why does this feel soooooo stiff. also it feels rather unclean and i am not sure why.

Offline Shnurbs

• just some dude
    • Shnurbs
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

Re: [CC] Spartan

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 11:52:34 pm
I'm clearly not the authority on this, but I think the "unclean" aspect of it really works in its favor, as it lends itself more to suggestion than it does to clearly defined forms. Considering it's pixel art, I think that's a plus, though others might disagree. Some areas I might reconsider, however, are his hands and parts of his chest. It looks like one side of his breastplate is bigger than the other, and one of his hands also looks like its bigger than the other. Come to think of it, so does one of the legs.

It comes off as a bit stiff is that it's a very square pose. It takes up pretty much the whole space equally. I don't really know how to describe it verbally, so I hope this image helps.

The second pose isn't exactly what I'd call dynamic, but it does give off more personality and feels like a less square and stiff pose than the first.

I hope that wasn't too harsh. I do really like the image so far. The design looks cool, and your shading is honestly really good. Keep it up!

edit: this is what i was talking about, put more eloquently and obviously.
https://us.v-cdn.net/5021068/uploads/attachments/4/3/1/5/6/4735.jpg
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:08:03 am by Shnurbs »
ayyyy lmao

Offline BasseBoi

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:46:56 am
highlight the yollow on its hands, just felt odd to not have any highligts there when you have it on its body
B^)

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:06:27 am
highlight the yollow on its hands, just felt odd to not have any highligts there when you have it on its body

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:07:31 am
I'm clearly not the authority on this, but I think the "unclean" aspect of it really works in its favor, as it lends itself more to suggestion than it does to clearly defined forms. Considering it's pixel art, I think that's a plus, though others might disagree. Some areas I might reconsider, however, are his hands and parts of his chest. It looks like one side of his breastplate is bigger than the other, and one of his hands also looks like its bigger than the other. Come to think of it, so does one of the legs.

It comes off as a bit stiff is that it's a very square pose. It takes up pretty much the whole space equally. I don't really know how to describe it verbally, so I hope this image helps.

The second pose isn't exactly what I'd call dynamic, but it does give off more personality and feels like a less square and stiff pose than the first.

I hope that wasn't too harsh. I do really like the image so far. The design looks cool, and your shading is honestly really good. Keep it up!

edit: this is what i was talking about, put more eloquently and obviously.
https://us.v-cdn.net/5021068/uploads/attachments/4/3/1/5/6/4735.jpg
the smaler hand and stuff is some cheap way to make it feel like perspectiv is being used...you know...whats further away is smaller. But yeah goo critic :D

My stuff rarly has character and its something i really shoud work on.

Offline BasseBoi

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 10:26:27 am
yaas now its looking better. but now you got the shining fire thing, sonow maybe it needs even more shine and lights on that hand
B^)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 07:54:14 pm
Man, I dig pretty much everything you post here. I think you should feel pretty confident of your results, which is not to say you shouldn't be asking people here to improve stuff, obviously, but still, it doesn't feel dirt to me. What little banding or stray pixels you have seem to be a conscious decision to keep you style intact, with the precision of shading/AA you need in tight surfaces. I don't think I would clean anything there.

You might say your stuff don't have character, but you style definitely shows in all your posts, mostly on the way your highlights show curves (that teal knight of yours with the ball-hammered armor texture that people read to look like water, comes to mind as strong in your style).

If you mean that it lacks character only in it's posing, (not sure if I agree) then go back to paper and see if what you can come up in pencil that feels energetic to you, you seem very capable to translate any shape you come up into pixels, but the preoccupation with pixel technic often hinders my creativity as well when I try to do both things at the same time. Perhaps more pencil (or non-pixel digital art if that is your thing) will set you free, from what you have posted I doubt your traditional media would look bland or without character.

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 01:47:38 pm
Man, I dig pretty much everything you post here. I think you should feel pretty confident of your results, which is not to say you shouldn't be asking people here to improve stuff, obviously, but still, it doesn't feel dirt to me. What little banding or stray pixels you have seem to be a conscious decision to keep you style intact, with the precision of shading/AA you need in tight surfaces. I don't think I would clean anything there.

You might say your stuff don't have character, but you style definitely shows in all your posts, mostly on the way your highlights show curves (that teal knight of yours with the ball-hammered armor texture that people read to look like water, comes to mind as strong in your style).

If you mean that it lacks character only in it's posing, (not sure if I agree) then go back to paper and see if what you can come up in pencil that feels energetic to you, you seem very capable to translate any shape you come up into pixels, but the preoccupation with pixel technic often hinders my creativity as well when I try to do both things at the same time. Perhaps more pencil (or non-pixel digital art if that is your thing) will set you free, from what you have posted I doubt your traditional media would look bland or without character.

I actually have a really hard time doing shapes...i am probably the master of faking volume or complicated shapes...thats why i dont do fancy poses...cant imagen the shapes when they are in a weird position.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 03:13:46 pm
I actually have a really hard time doing shapes...i am probably the master of faking volume or complicated shapes...thats why i dont do fancy poses...cant imagen the shapes when they are in a weird position.
Sounds like you know exactly what you need to practice, then xP
It might sound basic, but form exercises like drawing cubes and cylinders in perspective, with shading and as wireframes, can really help with this. Then, you can build up more complex forms out of those basic forms, and once you get comfortable thinking about form, you won't need to think about the building blocks any more.

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 06:48:47 pm

Sounds like you know exactly what you need to practice, then xP

[/quote]
YEEEEEP...

So much to learn...