AuthorTopic: [OC][CC] a star wars commission  (Read 2697 times)

Offline rasenken69

• https://www.facebook.com/EclipsimArt/
    • View Profile

[OC][CC] a star wars commission

on: May 16, 2018, 10:05:44 am

Had'nt posted in a while , please help me find out everything that is wrong with it? The pallette,  where I shouldve used desaturated colors for AA etc . How can I improve my color ramps or even make a good one . I mainly follow metal slug , so generally for me , it is saturated with dark colors and desat with light , then same with objects in the back , more desaturation basically.  For the character sprite I intentionally did not want him blending in , was trying to get the feel of how normal game sprites did not get affected by the background elements and popped out . Also I am aware that there is a lack of highlight with warm hues from the flames on the surrounding objects . Couldnt do it due to time constraints
Omae wa mou shindeiru

Offline rasenken69

• View Profile

Re: [OC][CC] a star wars commission

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17:54 am

Here is the png , dont know why it turned into a jpg
Omae wa mou shindeiru

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 11:25:59 am

I am aware that there is a lack of highlight with warm hues from the flames on the surrounding objects.
This is off to a good start  :y:
The background gives a great feeling of chaos and destruction.

IMO:
The STYLE of shading on the main character is the first thing that needs attention.
Would love to edit if I can find the time but need more info from you first.
Please show some reference images of characters and props, this makes it easier to help because I haven't seen all the recent movies and don't recognise the character.

Re the fire, its not just the colours but also its place in the scene is distracting and feels off to me.
It could be an idea to flip smoke and fire horizontally and find a more balanced place in the scene.

EDIT: Also please tell us if u want this to give the impression of game art (eg character looks like a sprite), a static art piece (character is painted into the scene), or somewhere in between.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:28:28 am by Decroded »

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 03:15:58 pm
Gotta agree about the fire, kind of looks like it is exploding from the guy's shoulder, I am guessing it is supposed to be coming from the downed AT-AT in the background? However it just looks odd because the background has more of a sepia tone while the flames seem to have more colour like the trooper sprite.

Maybe try toning down the colours of the fire bringing it more in line with the sepia tone of the background and see how that looks?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 02:11:46 am
also for me, the gun aiming directly at camera kinda breaks the fourth wall.

EDIT: oh! and i only just figured out that was an AT-AT on the right. the splosion made me see it as some weird bipedal box droid shooting a failgun  :lol:
this leads me to suggest expanding the canvas sideways a bit to give more space.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:05:56 am by Decroded »

Offline rasenken69

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 01:35:25 am
hi thanks for the reply , so the entire thing is somewhat in the middle , for the background i wanted it to blend in , while the character and the flame look like sprites that were separate from it , also it is not a charter from the movies etc , it was someone's custom trooper
Omae wa mou shindeiru