AuthorTopic: Pig [CC]  (Read 5162 times)

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Pig [CC]

on: May 21, 2018, 02:22:12 pm

So many comments that the head doesnt work with the body...i am slowly giving up..

Offline GoodyPundit

• Gamer turn into a game dev <3
    • goodypundit
    • baguspundit
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/160961.htm
    • goodygameworks
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/goodygameworks

Re: Pig [CC]

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 04:17:32 pm
Hey DieMango, I didn't see much problem on the head not fitted into the body?
I think the small problem is related to the plate armor shape and lighting, that for me, a little bit confusing on directing the torso shape.  :)

Or I am looking at the wrong issue?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 05:21:10 pm
I see two ways the head doesn't "fit"
- literally; it seems to be a bit too far to the left
- stylistically; the head looks much more detailed and realistic than the body, which has a more stylised look

Offline eriophora

• pixel herder
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 11:26:51 pm
I think you just have some slight perspective issues. Please forgive how rough these edits are, as I didn't have my tablet set up for them :) Here are a couple thoughts as to how you could edit the pose and anatomy to make more sense.

You'd probably also want to move the back leg back a bit more and elongate the torso a bit compared to this edit.

chest armor piece would need to be "tilted" to be more in line with the head here.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:25:17 am
I think you just have some slight perspective issues. Please forgive how rough these edits are, as I didn't have my tablet set up for them :) Here are a couple thoughts as to how you could edit the pose and anatomy to make more sense.

You'd probably also want to move the back leg back a bit more and elongate the torso a bit compared to this edit.

chest armor piece would need to be "tilted" to be more in line with the head here.

Don't see the problem with the pose/perspective if it's a fisheye lens deal. I don't know man, live on the edge, change it if you want, just be prepared to blitzkrieg through all the resulting aa-jaggies-clusterfuck you'll wind up with. That is, the edit does not have to be this drastic, it's coming along good now, apart from tangents.

The tangent is something you want to get to know. It defines the silhouette and vice versa, it's fundamental stuff. Once you spot a few, you can spot them for all future progress, or that's the end goal.
This one goes into detail on tangents.
This one too. (Forgive the length, couldn't find good concise ones yet)

So you have one there on the left horn of the pig head. Left elbow/knee is cutting pretty close so I'd change that.

Shading on the chest plate is also confusing, flattens it out a bit and could use a hard shadow.

But both of these things are better to show you an edit, I'll stick it at the end of this post soon.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:54:55 am by pistachio »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 01:10:22 pm
i like the character.
i think the red eyes in the horns should go personally.
i really like the placement of the other smaller red eyes, looks more badass.
but i think that area would need some general adjustment to compensate.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 09:33:09 am
Had a go at it

Hella rough and not feeling the pose w/ this edit. This was several minutes of chopping n screwing to get to the pose, but you do it alla prima IMO. But there you go.

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 11:34:09 am
Had a go at it

Hella rough and not feeling the pose w/ this edit. This was several minutes of chopping n screwing to get to the pose, but you do it alla prima IMO. But there you go.

That red is interesting. How woud you use that? Cant think of anything that i coud use it for or where to use it for...

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 09:39:49 am
That red is interesting. How woud you use that? Cant think of anything that i coud use it for or where to use it for...

Good question man...

In your pic you're using it for the eyes only (not bad). I just threw the red down last minute but I was going through ways to make the metal "hotter" in the constraints of the original palette. Around shadow, focal points, etc. (my result isn't tight enough to be useful but it gives you the idea.) In PA and similar (linocut and stuff) the distinct colors make it much tougher. But the point being you're probably gonna see that kind of color variation, and then you want to strategically exaggerate it. Exploit it for the sake of design.

When you stop thinking about literal color and start thinking about what the colors actually look like, you take a huge leap, probably THE leap towards the answer. In a few words, you're learning to see. IMO I am just starting to do that. Give it a shot too.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:50:53 am by pistachio »

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 05:40:25 pm

Good question man...

In your pic you're using it for the eyes only (not bad). I just threw the red down last minute but I was going through ways to make the metal "hotter" in the constraints of the original palette. Around shadow, focal points, etc. (my result isn't tight enough to be useful but it gives you the idea.) In PA and similar (linocut and stuff) the distinct colors make it much tougher. But the point being you're probably gonna see that kind of color variation, and then you want to strategically exaggerate it. Exploit it for the sake of design.

When you stop thinking about literal color and start thinking about what the colors actually look like, you take a huge leap, probably THE leap towards the answer. In a few words, you're learning to see. IMO I am just starting to do that. Give it a shot too.

Hmmm...i feel stupid...welp. Gotta draw more and see where it gets me.