AuthorTopic: [CC] Need criticism on idle pose and walk cycles.  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile
I've posted about that character on pixel art but now I need advice on animation.
How do the experienced guys think I can improve those walking animations and why
not as well the idle one too.

The skid hopping of the baby is intentional, the proportions are intentional as well.

Anything other than that I'd like to receive criticism on, shading, animation etc.

For info, it's a 12 frames walk cycle and idle animation, at 10fps.

Here it is:

I've only done one walk cycle animation because I'm waiting for criticism before I
engage myself too much in animation and have to change everything later haha.

Thanks for your time and feedback,

Regards,

Hugo.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:16:53 am by Hoogo »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [CC] Need criticism on idle pose and walk cycles.

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:49:28 am
the head looks really poorly on this sprite. You need to mess with the colors for both better contrast and a less sickly appearance, and try to shorten the forehead by about a pixel so they lose a bit of that cro-magnon thing they've got going.

I also recommend you redraw the top area of the head as a sphere, it can be hard getting a grip on shape shading but as it stands his head reads more as a very strange tube, like someone squished a toilet paper roll!

The animation on the rabbit is great, but suffers similar color issues.

When in doubt, more contrast!

Also, I remember reading this was supposed to be a baby, so try maybe a bit more of a waddle or have them clutching whatever's in their hand there to their chest as they shuffle about.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [CC] Need criticism on idle pose and walk cycles.

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 11:24:56 am
Shading could be redone on front sprite.
Cranium looks squashed in on side sprites.

IDK why nothing was mentioned about the image being upscaled. Basically we have an upscaling feature already, so try to avoid that...