AuthorTopic: Kurt Cobain Pixelated  (Read 7992 times)

Offline Lythium

• I am... Lucas?
    • View Profile

Kurt Cobain Pixelated

on: November 28, 2006, 02:56:51 pm

This took me about an hour to do... well in school... cause they have mouses and I have a lap top... but anyway I would like some crits if possible... I need to get better...

//edit ptoing: don't use the url stuff for imageshack, clicking when you wanna zoom opening a new site is annoying.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 03:14:56 pm by ptoing »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Kurt Cobain Pixelated

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 06:26:43 pm
1. Try learning to place pixels less indiscrimanatly
2. Read up on Anti-aliasing
3. I didn't realise Kurt had a mexican/fu manchu moustache...
4. Where's the bloodstained wall and brains?

FYI - I went to see nirvana back in the day... worst band I ever saw... not a patch on mudhoney - who - in my opinion were the daddies of grunge... I'm glad he blew his brains out...
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 06:53:01 pm
FYI - I went to see nirvana back in the day... worst band I ever saw... not a patch on mudhoney - who - in my opinion were the daddies of grunge... I'm glad he blew his brains out...

Hah, that sounds kind of cruel, I mean, I hated the band, too, but you don't necessarily need to be glad he commited suicide...I think?

Back on topic: Everything looks really flat; the only place I really see meaningful shadint is the few highlights on his forehead, everything else looks like you just randomly. The glasses look really, uh, bad. I can't think of anything else to say about them other then that they look like a lemniscate and rather out of place. Maybe with some color and stuff they would fit in more. Also, the shirt needs highlights.
I.....am......me............

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:40:42 am
I love nirvana but this is kinda sad.  one crit I can give you is that its too small to show the details on him.  ive seen his image of him many times before and it hardly resembles.

Offline MrH

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:09:24 am
so is everyone here an elitist dick or what(reffering mainly to baccaman)?
have you never thought that he is new to pixeling and isnt as good as he can be yet?

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 05:51:26 am
That's obviously what he thought, hence him pointing out the places in the piece and ways in which he could improve.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 06:35:40 am
have you never thought that he is new to pixeling and isnt as good as he can be yet?
Bacca was blunt, but his art crits are valid. If you're looking for false praise head to DeviantArt. Read through Bacca's posts and you'll see how far off your elitist smear is.

I found this link helpful for explaining AA(anti-aliasing).
http://www.isocalc.com/tutorials/antialias.htm

We have a tuts and links thread in the General Section of the forum. You'll find a lot of helpful technique related links there which I suggest looking at.

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 09:49:32 am

Yeah mr h... I have thought he may be new to pixeling... which is why I offered some constructive advice... which you'd have to agree I'm not wrong am I?

The rest was (admittedly) my misplaced attempt at humour... apologies for being so facetious - (I blame my mother...) - but certainly not elitist - as you may find if you hang around here I'm actually quite a nice chap... (as I believe some of the other members have already pointed out) [thanks guys]...

I understand you used to frequent the old forums - so welcome back...

Apologies alround if I've offended you (or anyone else for that matter)

Keep on pushin!

;)

To lythium - if you wanna get better, firstly get hold of a mouse and use that, serioiusly buddy - pixeling is about precise, clinical placement of pixels, you really can't do that with those yacky nipple things on a laptop or those icky pad jobbies... lurk around these boards and study everything you see... keep tryin your hand at pixelling and eventually you'll get there... but don't forget to get a mouse!?? (or a gfx tablet [but I doubt that's possible?])
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 09:55:27 am by baccaman21 »

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 10:29:30 am
I met Kurt once, after a gig in Kentish Town. We spoke to him for a minute while some Japanese girls got him to sign their jean jackets. Earlier on that week he had been on the UK tv show The Word where he had siad that Courtney Love was the best F**k in the world. While we were speaking to him some guy shouted from back stage, 'Hey Kurt, Courtneys on the phone', my mate paul who was with us said to him 'oh she's the best f**k in the world', Kurt laughed hit paul in the stomach and ran off back stage.

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 05:25:12 pm
Not wanting to derail this thread but I thought I'd better mention that nirvana as a band were great (if you like that sort of thing...) and back in the day (before grunge was called grunge [we all knew it as 'sub-pop' due to the label most of the seattle bands were signed to]) they were indeed one of the top subpop acts - but not on a par with the likes of Mudhoney, Husker Du, Pixies, Tad, dinosaur jr, Fugazi, Soundgarden and so on...(IMO) 

But the thing that was frustrating (for the newly emerging music scene) was that not wanting to miss out on a fast buck, David Geffen, signed up nirvana to his mainstream label thus paving the way for the mainstream effect that occured after once Nevermind was released... which was overproduced and not at all as raw and bloody edgy as Bleach - having said that, it was a good album...

so - what then followed was a big push in the mainstream media for all things "Grunge" - to the point where national papers ran articles on "how to dress in the grunge style" - etc etc... at which point it went from being an underground scene/movement for the lsot generation and catapulted it into the mainstream effectively killing off the thing in one fell swoop

Yes, I'm elitist in this respect... but then I suppose there's a lot of "EMO's" out there now who may understand the sentiment I'm trying to express (bearing in mind I was in my late teens trying to find my way and 'being alternative' was what it was all about) so as soon as nevermind catapulted the 'grunge' scene into the limelight it was 'alternative' anymore and effectively killed its appeal... I honestly believe that this is part of the reason the tragic incident occured as there was a lot of talk of the time of nirvana (and particularly cobain) selling out... coupled with the fact he was a troubled individual

In retrospect I guess it was an inevitability. It happened to punk in the 70's - Dance music (and grunge) in the 80's/90's and now it's happening to emo in the naughties... what goes around comes around.

Regardless of all that, his death cemented him into the 'rock n roll' hall of fame - and (no direspect to Lythium <shudder> here) but really... if you want to hero worship him then go ahead... (I feel the same way about Jim Morrison) but be aware there was some better music around at the time that you should probably look into if you love Nirvana. - not only will it broaden you musical horizons... it'll mean you'll be cooler at school... ;)

\OT
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 05:29:02 pm by baccaman21 »

www.burnzombieburn.com