AuthorTopic: Cloth and metal.  (Read 2643 times)

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Cloth and metal.

on: April 23, 2018, 09:17:52 pm

So i am really used to using big clusters and a low amount of colors and useally dont use any textures.

How does the metal look like and the cloth? Also how coud i spice things up with more colors? I just struggle alot utelizing more colors to my advantage and dont know how to effectly add color and how to use it.

Offline drax013

• View Profile

Re: Cloth and metal.

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 09:24:49 pm
Im not the best person to give advice on pixel art, but the metal reads more like a water texture to me.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 09:31:29 pm
you should remove the brightest highlights on the cloth, and perhaps even reduce the contrast there a bit. the material looks very shiny and silky because of it, which could work on its own but paired with the metal makes it also look kind of metallic.

as for the metal, I agree with the above poster, you over use the highlights on it and it looks either like a water texture or like Stone that's been worn away at the edges.

I'd try and get a bit of reflection in there as well as reducing how intense those highlighted edges are, perhaps add a bit of color around the edges where the light is reflecting off of the fabric
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline xandecamanho

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 01:28:41 am
Hi

I'm just a starting with pixel art as well. But I think I have some suggestion to add.

For the background color - It's too strong and picking too much attention. I think maybe some purplish color, a little dark and low saturation would fit better with the character colors.
About the color you asked, I think you could add another dark shade for the green of the vests, improving the contrast in the darker parts of it.
Also, you could reduce the amount of white in the armor and fallow the armor form with its shadow, to try avoid this water surface effect.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:25:03 am
The planes of forms here are really confusing. Maybe thats part of your style, I don't know. But its kind of disrupting the shape of the helmet here for example.

You'll want to get rid of this brightest highlight on the skirt(?), it's trying to turn the cloth into plastic stuff. Save that highlight for the metal, kick it up into white even. If it's kind of shiny, maybe your intention, contrast up to 11 is the key. See second half of this post. If the shininess is WAY out there, like chrome, adding a light cooler version of the color you have around the edges sells this effect even more. Basically that represents a sky reflection (but it's less compatible with dark BGs.)

You have to know I think, exactly what the properties are of what you want to draw/remake before you remake it, including how light bounces off of it. Use a crapload of reference if you can, then let the games begin.

The right forearm blends into the cloth. IMO you could cheat, and drop some dark shadow on here.
That's one specific area. I'm seeing at least 4 areas that just meld into eachother value-wise so you need to separate it with lines, plane changes or straight up blobs of shadows.

The feet are pretty malformed. I'm guessing you have these problems with ambiguous forms overall, you're thinking too much in 2D and not enough in 3D. You've winged great looking stuff in 2D design terms, but this may be at the root of the two big problems, the wobbly edge highlighted shading, and sort of unbalanced form.

......1X artifact on upper left background, on 4X upscaled picture :yell:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:54:20 am by pistachio »

Offline BasseBoi

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 08:28:16 am
I am abeginner and amazed by the most thingsbut Tbh i really like the design, it feels so stylized and personal The only thing is that the toes look a bit too smal.
And as the other say, change the bakground when you finish the design.
B^)

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 02:25:33 pm
The planes of forms here are really confusing. Maybe thats part of your style, I don't know. But its kind of disrupting the shape of the helmet here for example.

You'll want to get rid of this brightest highlight on the skirt(?), it's trying to turn the cloth into plastic stuff. Save that highlight for the metal, kick it up into white even. If it's kind of shiny, maybe your intention, contrast up to 11 is the key. See second half of this post. If the shininess is WAY out there, like chrome, adding a light cooler version of the color you have around the edges sells this effect even more. Basically that represents a sky reflection (but it's less compatible with dark BGs.)

You have to know I think, exactly what the properties are of what you want to draw/remake before you remake it, including how light bounces off of it. Use a crapload of reference if you can, then let the games begin.

The right forearm blends into the cloth. IMO you could cheat, and drop some dark shadow on here.
That's one specific area. I'm seeing at least 4 areas that just meld into eachother value-wise so you need to separate it with lines, plane changes or straight up blobs of shadows.

The feet are pretty malformed. I'm guessing you have these problems with ambiguous forms overall, you're thinking too much in 2D and not enough in 3D. You've winged great looking stuff in 2D design terms, but this may be at the root of the two big problems, the wobbly edge highlighted shading, and sort of unbalanced form.

......1X artifact on upper left background, on 4X upscaled picture :yell:

Man you exposed everything!
Every single thing you said i shoud do  :'(

Thanks man! Gonna try my best to improve.