AuthorTopic: Disparate measures - Cave Tiles  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Disparate measures - Cave Tiles

on: May 11, 2018, 04:47:19 am
Onto my 4th or 5th iteration of the cave roof tiles.
Now there's a disparity of styles / rock types between layers.

Will probably do a major paint over roof tiles aiming for more emphasis on "greater form".

I'm thinking of a 3 stage process for rock structure:
1) Rough in big and medium chunks
2) Divide and extrude most chunks
3) Selectively divide and extrude chunks from stage 2.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Disparate measures - Cave Tiles

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 08:20:52 am
Gorgeous.
My only criticism would be that the roof tiles possess a stylistic angularity which the rest of the image lacks.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 10:51:09 am
Gorgeous.
My only criticism would be that the roof tiles possess a stylistic angularity which the rest of the image lacks.
Thankyou kind sur (yug yug).

I'm a sucker for 45 degree angles so I kept going on these roof tiles for a while.
Middle to right is most polished though I feel like it looks a little contrived and so I would need to add some "major forms" (to quote Cyangmou).

Do you think the hard edge style of the roof tiles look better than the more organic (still rough) floor tiles?
Because I could either apply this to the ground and cave wall tiles, or archive the roof tiles for some other use.

EDIT: Just to mention I'm working of only one monitor ATM and its rly giving me the sh!@s  :P

EDIT 2:
Sticking with organic style rocks, I went about it this way instead:

Which losely translates to this:

Probably push forward with this style, modify/repaint the roof shape I had earlier, then add a couple of larger structures protuding from the shadows for variation.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 02:23:28 pm by Decroded »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 06:26:52 pm
perhaps try flipping and editing the floor tiles?
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 12:47:41 am
perhaps try flipping and editing the floor tiles?
I thought of that but that might look cheap and possibly too mirrored.
But I’ll have a crack at that approach and see how it goes maybe swap some tiles around before editing to prevent that mirror look.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 08:45:46 am
the ceiling rocks feel compare dto the bottom rocks very stylized and graphical.
Probably it's better to stick to one similar style for ceiling and bottom, considering if it's a wet cave (looks moist bc. of the waterfalls) that stalactites will propably form. This means you should have the same forms as on the ground but some of them should ease into stalactites.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 02:45:52 pm
the ceiling rocks feel compare dto the bottom rocks very stylized and graphical.
Probably it's better to stick to one similar style for ceiling and bottom, considering if it's a wet cave (looks moist bc. of the waterfalls) that stalactites will propably form. This means you should have the same forms as on the ground but some of them should ease into stalactites.
something like this perhaps.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 06:40:56 am
second one feels much more natural, yes.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 12:06:30 pm

dirty dump of the tiles to see what needs work.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 06:32:00 pm
I was about to humbly suggest stalactites, but refrained from that because I thought the player might read them as spikes capable of dealing damage.

Perhaps making them more recurved or weavy like the big stalagmite on the floor could make them a little less threatening?

Oh, your piece is absolutely stunning :o, It motivates me practice and develop my skills to get to that level some day, and I can learn something about tiling natural shapes from it

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 02:48:59 pm
I was about to humbly suggest stalactites, but refrained from that because I thought the player might read them as spikes capable of dealing damage.

Perhaps making them more recurved or weavy like the big stalagmite on the floor could make them a little less threatening?

Oh, your piece is absolutely stunning :o, It motivates me practice and develop my skills to get to that level some day, and I can learn something about tiling natural shapes from it
Thanks.
Yeah I gave up on stalactites for now but will probably add some on variation tiles.

In this iteration I'm surprised how many tiling options I have with just a handful of tiles  :huh:

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 08:10:56 pm
The new roof tiles look crazy good, I didn't mind the geometrical stylized original version but these are rad. They do differ in style from the ground tiles much in the way the previous version did however.