AuthorTopic: Tips to do skin  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Anokolisa

• https://twitter
    • View Profile

Tips to do skin

on: May 10, 2018, 08:42:31 pm
Well, this is my second post here, the first time I received some good tips.
so I wanted to ask for help one more time, if possible.
this time I would like some tips on how to create a good skin type, and some comments on the arts and how they could look better, thanks to everyone

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile

Re: Tips to do skin

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 09:08:03 pm
What do you mean a good skin type? There are so many possible skins of varying colours, texture etc.
Your characters look great imo. I would say that you can vary their stance, as they look very similar! :)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 10:48:07 pm
I think you could slightly increase the contrast on the two lighter skinned guys on the sides, the tanned guy looks nice. Perhaps also give the hue of the shades a bit of a twist, but I wouldn't go overboard with it at this size, unless the piece around them asks for some dramatic colored shading.

Skin hues, eh, that is a can of worms, skin is a rather complex surface regarding how light is reflected/absorbed on it. While we wont be emulating all the light shenanigans of skin at this scale, (it is usually safe to treat it as just any opaque object, while minding the ambient diffuse light), these peculiarities still lead to many hue variations which should be explored when drawing, say, portraits, like when the beard area on pale man can have a greenish tinge, cheek blushing (never got it right) or like when people got some natural purplish shades around the eyes. If I remember well Arne had a great tutorial on skin which wasn't just for pixel art.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 06:25:14 am
In addition i think ur sprites would look great without the black outlines.
IMO u shouldn't really need outlines inside a sprite.
All black/dark outlines inside a sprite reduces the forms to a flat plane.