AuthorTopic: Lil' Sprite  (Read 3481 times)

Scotteh

Lil' Sprite

on: November 28, 2006, 04:14:42 pm
Took me about half an hour on and off, well, Whadda think?

C+C PLEASE?!?!?!

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Lil' Sprite

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 04:36:03 pm
flat as you like little buddy... if that's the effect you wnat then fair enough... but failing that... try rounding it off...

and those black outlines ain't doing it any favours neither... :S

on a positive note... good to see you're working on a lovely magenta background... good way of seeing stray pixels...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 04:39:57 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Scotteh

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 07:05:27 pm
ok i tried to add a bit more depth, not sure if it worked though ???

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 09:42:15 am
yeah it's better. it's got a bit more form now, - what you've done with the eyes is nice.. in terms of shape - you have enough detail there to make them express emotion if you chose to.

The general shape is good - stylized for sure... but effective - there's enough detail there to animate him if you chose to.

your anti-aliasing could do with some work. plus the way you're working the outlines is pretty crude...

here... take a look at this edit...
mine=
yours=
I've meddled with the pallette... (brightened it a bit)
I've also reworked the internal pixels to show you how to move from the inside to the outer line and aliasing against it whilst also trying to tone to outline down by shading it...
as you can see, the otline is more or less identical... it's the inner bits that have changed... not significantly...

oh... I added the mouth too... (couldn't help myself) - but it works with or without...

keep it up scot - you'll get there m8y..
:)

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 10:11:12 am
I assumed this was an RPG sprite, only other possibility was a platformer but since it was facing south I figured it must be an RPG, so with that in mind I edited your sprite

not so much of an edit as a reconstruction.
quite a bland sprite, lineart is awkward and the colours and dithering wasn't very pleasing
as you can see, I drew over your sprite and then made it an even number of pixels wide. this is just personal preference, Ive always found unevenly sized sprites arrogant when they could just be an even number wide, also I think they could cause a few problems with tile interaction in a game. still a personal preference- I just don't get why some people do it when it isn't needed
that said; started colouring, based off your colours, shaded in a more simple way which gives a clear idea of the light source.
and some subtle selout near the highlights which is just something Ive been trying out lately, ignore it if you wish.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Scotteh

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 04:04:31 pm
Thank you very much  :)

@baccaman:  That edit looks great i will try and improve it, but i'm not to good at animating so i doubt that will happen :'( and to be honest i didnt change the eyes ;)

@.takam:  I wasnt really making an rpg sprite but now that i have seen yours its makes me want to make it like that.

I'm going to try and improve this ALOT with your help ;D

EDIT:  I dont know if this is any better but here it is

« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 05:06:01 pm by Scotteh »

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 05:04:37 pm
@baccaman:  That edit looks great i will try and improve it, but i'm not to good at animating so i doubt that will happen :'( and to be honest i didnt change the eyes ;)

no i know, I just thought I'd mention it - ( i guess I should have mentioned it in the first post)

good luck... :)

www.burnzombieburn.com