AuthorTopic: Need help with making a doorway light  (Read 85484 times)

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Re: Need help with making a doorway light

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 03:41:03 pm
I'll wait with another paintover for after you answer eishiya's questions (because I also want to know that), but I wanted to quickly throw another one in: why is the left window lit different than the right one?

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 08:18:02 pm
Don't forget that the light coming from the door is just regular light. It doesn't get into cracks any better than the interior light, so it shouldn't lighten the gaps between the boards so much.

I also don't recommend using white as your light colour. Light picks up the colours around it, and plus white/grey just look boring. You can get a more interesting look if you give the light a hue.

What is the light from the window? By that I mean, is it the wood lit up by the light from the window, or is it god-rays (dust/particles in the air lit up by the light)? If it's the light lighting up the wood where it hits, then the wall and floor right by the wall should not be lit up, because the light from the window can't reach there. If it's a god-ray, then it should stream from the entire window, not just the bottom of it. If you don't understand what I mean, here's a photo of light from windows illuminating the floor, and here's a photo of god rays from windows (with bonus illumination of the floor, because that's hard to avoid with direct sunlight). Be careful with light rays though, as they can give the place a dusty or humid look, which isn't always what you want. Sometimes it's better to just give the window a faint glow and not include any directional light.
Thank you eishiya for your critique :)

I've been working on it and had a hard time figuring out how I want my lights look  :ouch:
But finally I changed the doorway light hue, and also changed the window light. I decided not to put god rays for the window. It seemed like it doesn't match the other light. I only put a small indirect light on the floor.

I'll wait with another paintover for after you answer eishiya's questions (because I also want to know that), but I wanted to quickly throw another one in: why is the left window lit different than the right one?
Sorry for the confusion caused :-[ the left window is a window with no light. Just showing how it looks with no light.

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 10:25:42 pm
This looks pretty decent to me right now. Once you put in objects etc, should be a nice scene. Or at least a start in the right direction.