AuthorTopic: [Wip] Looking For Critique and/or advice on an original character  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Lord Zamith

• View Profile

New To Pixel Art (About 3 to 4 months of experience) currently making tilesets and assets for a game I am building from scratch.

I am having trouble with the main characters Idle stance, in specific I feel like the legs are off. Any critiques or advice is welcome.

Offline Kroan

• View Profile
I really want to help you as I'm also new to pixelart and know how helpful some feedback can be.
That said I myself have not much of experience ( a few weeks into pixelart no characters so far ) so use with caution!!!

Overall I like your character, the colors, the art style really nice!

Is this supposed to be a battle pose? Or just the standing still pose?

I did the following: I stood up from my chair and tried to do exactly what your character does.
If you do this you will realise that it somehow feels unnatural.

If it is just a standing pose:

Why is one foot on it's toes? Why the arms are in a 45 and 90 degrees angle? If it's just standing put both feet on the ground, closer together and the arms just in a small angle like 5 degrees or so. More relaxed I mean. If it should Idle, you can simply do that by moving the upper body a bit down and up so it looks like breathing.

Like here

(It is a bit slow but it's good to see how it works)

If it is a fighting pose:

The arms then would need to be more in front of the body and a bit higher to be able to block the face. Like a boxer I guess.
The foot is fine then, alternatively put it on the ground completely and then perhaps a bit turned.

Hope it gives you some ideas^^

Greetings

Kroan
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:30:55 am by Kroan »

Offline Lord Zamith

• View Profile
Thanks for the kind words and advice!
A second pair of eyes really pointed out some of the mistakes that I overlooked, your examples are quite helpful. I completely agree with what you are saying about standing on his toes and the odd angles of his arms, hopefully with those changes it will all come together nicely

Offline GoodyPundit

• Gamer turn into a game dev <3
    • goodypundit
    • baguspundit
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/160961.htm
    • goodygameworks
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/goodygameworks
At first look of the image, I thought the char is on "ready to battle" stance, with both hand readying and leg stance preparing for something. Until I read that this is an idle stance.
Kroan gaves great example on idle stance  ;)