AuthorTopic: smol doge anim  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Melodee

• omg
    • jarajaramelon
    • beardedgrandma
    • Jara de Nooijer
    • View Profile

smol doge anim

on: April 29, 2018, 02:05:07 am
idk if this animation looks alright i have never done something in this size and also barely practiced animation so like i am not surprised if it turned out horribly

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:51:01 am by Melodee »

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Re: smol doge anim

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 02:25:13 pm
Cute dog! You should look for some references
This is a nice one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qV5pdO_X8U

Offline C_Atwood

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:25:03 pm
The second one looks really good! I think by just adding a few more inbetweens this could be a really good sprite.
https://discord.gg/uCdw7kY
Join our Discord server! Small community for animators (pixel or otherwise) to communicate with each other and help everyone grow as animators!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 04:41:46 am
While this is a massive improvement, I Have to disagree with C_Atwood there unfortunately. The lack of rigidity and understanding of how dog legs work makes it look like his feet are floppy socks filled with sand.

Use google to find some gifs of dogs trotting about, and some information about the skeleton structure inside these creatures. These can help oodles with making sense of it all.

And above all else, do some exercises to keep your forms a constant size. Proportions are important.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 04:59:08 pm
I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to mention that this particular problem is a very common one newbies face when trying pixel-based animation that also rarely gets addressed.

First off, to "fix" this problem, one starts with solid colored masses (not fully-colored heads, or portions of the body). If the silhouettes of the movement look correct, then you can start adding things like outlines and basic form.

Unfortunately, when trying to add outlines to small resolutions like this, animation can get very "floppy" and "muddy" as MysteryMeat pointed out about the wet or "sand-filled" floppy socks.

Most importantly -- do NOT animate pixel art in Photoshop! Get something like Graphics Gale (free!) or Asesprite, which has OnionSkinning capabilities so that you can see your silhouette (for the moment, I suggest Graphics Gale for animation, but Asesprite is definitely catching up!) Graphics Gale has a keyboard shortcut where you can map the F10, F11, F12 keys to the mouse wheel so you can flip quickly between animation frames. This is how you can check your silhouette more easily.

Finally, regarding "volume" -- please remember that outlines are a "post-processing" effect. They are generated AFTER the volume itself. So when animating the silhouette, your are animating only VOLUME and not outlines or details or lighting or shadow. Only volume. Therefore, no matter what you do, consider how heavy these volumes are as you flip-flop between frames to study them as they move. Ensure they remain of consistent size and proportion to what kind of materials they are.

Sorry for the necro-post -- but this section is not very lively these days, so I wanted to help infuse it with a little know-how if I could. I want to see a little more life here in this section of the forums.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/