AuthorTopic: [OC] [C+C] My Monsters  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Xorceles

• View Profile

Re: [OC] [C+C] My Monsters

Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 09:57:28 pm
thanks you very much :y:

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 01:59:20 pm
Good first attempt!

If I can give you an advice from someone who regularly creates thread for feedback: limit your thread to one creation. Threads which contain many creations tend not to get as many replies. Also, it can get chaotic when different people comment on different things.

What is the perspective for this character to be used in? Right now, I'm getting the impression the character is seen directly from the front. Usually, in walking cycles like those, you'll use the 3/4 perspective. In this case, you'd see more of the top of the head of the character. It could work either way though.

In games, proportions are often disregarded when it comes to characters:

In this case, the head is bigger than both torso and legs combined.

In Earthbound, the torso is as big as the head but the legs are barely visible.

I think you could think what you'd like to emphasize on for the character itself and then restructure it accordingly.

Right now I have the feeling you're going  for something realistic but the proportions aren't right.

Offline GoodyPundit

• Gamer turn into a game dev <3
    • goodypundit
    • baguspundit
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/160961.htm
    • goodygameworks
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/goodygameworks

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 02:24:08 pm
This a great start Xorceles, you sure have something  :y: :lol:
I'm super agree with MysteryMeat, keep learning on basic body figure, anatomy, angle, etc.
Keep posted us  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:16:56 am by GoodyPundit »

Offline Xorceles

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 02:38:29 am
thanks ill try will be hard but all pixel artist starts making crappy looking art until they learn. :)

Offline Xorceles

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 07:30:15 am
i made this boy today

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 08:13:06 am
Some tips about color and depth :

- If I were you I would try using different colors. Right now the outlines are too light (except for the shoes' which are too dark lol), and some of the colors look muddy (the hair's yellow is greenish, and the skin is a bit grey). Experiment with palette-shifting, while keeping in mind that when you darken a color, increase the saturation (or else it'll be muddy) ; when you lighten a color, decrease the saturation (or else it'll be too vibrant).

- Once you've colored your sprite, you should try shading it (for each color, use the same but darker for shadow) to give it more volume. Generally you should determine a virtual "light direction" (for example, the light could come from the top-right corner), and shade your character accordingly.

Here's a quick edit I made to show you what I mean with the colors, I also added 2-3 colors so I could shade the guy and give him some depth.

One last thing : pixel art generally likes low color-count. So each time you're about to add a new color to your piece, you must first ask yourself "Could any of the already existing colors of my sprite replace the one I'm about to add ?". If the answer's no, then go ahead and add that new color - if there's already a very similar color, why not use that one ?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:18:38 am by Zanorin »
Half a noob figuring out stuff.