AuthorTopic: RPG characters & mugshots  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

RPG characters & mugshots

on: April 20, 2018, 03:38:14 pm

Are these all right?
Is there something I should fix?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: RPG characters & mugshots

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 03:45:18 pm
The one with the open mouth has their chin/tongue tangenting with the bottom of the image, looks like an accidental crop. Maybe move them up a bit so that their whole face fits and has some breathing room?

I think the necks blend into the chins a bit. Perhaps making the necks darker (fully in shadow) would help.

The character on the right seems to have a very large face / small head, I think they could use a bit more hair, in both the portrait and the sprite.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 10:11:42 am
Maybe increase the contrast for readability? I find the big faces kind of hard to make out. Just a suggestion though!

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 08:36:42 pm
The one with the open mouth has their chin/tongue tangenting with the bottom of the image, looks like an accidental crop. Maybe move them up a bit so that their whole face fits and has some breathing room?

I think the necks blend into the chins a bit. Perhaps making the necks darker (fully in shadow) would help.

The character on the right seems to have a very large face / small head, I think they could use a bit more hair, in both the portrait and the sprite.

Is it better?
Maybe increase the contrast for readability? I find the big faces kind of hard to make out. Just a suggestion though!
I can't do it without unbalancing the palette(I'm trying to keep it as similar as possible to the one of pokemon platinum)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 09:49:42 pm
That is better, yes!

You can create more contrast for readability without changing your palette if you use your existing colours differently. In this edit, I increased the contrast just by being a little more liberal with using shadows (so that important light areas would be framed against dark areas) and darker colours for the mouths.

You can increase the contrast even more by using existing colours in new ways or emphasising light/shadow shapes.