AuthorTopic: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread  (Read 43273 times)

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Re: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread

Reply #60 on: September 24, 2005, 02:12:57 am
LOL.. there is strategy in baseball, but just like magic, the 'better' team is often the one with the money to grab the best players, so it's not exactly fair or exciting. Then come price caps, trying to regulate it all. If baseball was left unfettered, I think things would be more interesting. Extremely unbalanced teams going at it... you can cheer for the underdog! Anyways, I don't really like baseball that much.

Pep most turn based games basically go to the person with the better cards/characters that’s just the way it is.  In most cases no amount of skill or strategy can beat some tuity fruity rich kid that has the best characters and has a slightly above average skill level.

Is white always going to beat black at chess? Is there a determinable edge? Everyone starts as equals in most games, though turn order can bias ones chances right off... so I can agree in part, but turn based games are not exclusively vulnerable to the rich kid element as you seem to suggest. Or is it just that you don't like turn based games for some other reason?

I have a grudge against MMORPG's in the same way that the rich kid element comes into play. But it's also clearly the fault of the designers. Many games out there have subscriptions, and you must keep your subscription paid to keep your account alive, and the more you play, typically the greater an edge you have over new players. It's a deviously good business model, but it isn't always fair, and I think it comes at the price of strategy gameplay.

I'm not saying MMORPG's can't be good, or have strategic elements. If they weren't good, people wouldnt play them. They have to be a little bit more than online chat tool! Any multiplayer online game will allow for inherent strategy and disparity because no two players are exactly alike. But, there are faults or bugs in games that allow opportunistic players to take advantage of the game in ways the creators didn't foresee. When a game has more unintentional strategic opportunities than intentional in-game strategic opportunities, the game is more susceptible to cheating.

The most simple and direct solution for eliminating crowding and a lack of diversity which comes from narrow play choices in games is simulation. And I am a big fan of simulation. When a game developer tries to balance races and classes, they're doing a disservice to the simulated environment. When a game is developed to allow for opportunities inside the play environment, gameplay can be much more rewarding. FPS games are highly Sim-oriented, but they're simple enough that character balancing is acceptable.

FFTA was good, but short.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: September 24, 2005, 02:38:49 am
IT: Done... I with you're out my idea. I just in thought of how to effectively figure stuck will eventually third dimension while you're stuck with you suck don't seeing in a few minutes...

EDIT: Done...

Bitches...

Got 3D glasses?

If you're out my idea. I with your two-dimensional retinas.

Bitches...

Bitches...

Yeah, that's right of how to do it in a few minutes...

Yeah, that's right.

Yeah, third dimension while you suck do it in a few minutes...

http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/Gibber/GibGen.htm

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #62 on: September 24, 2005, 02:42:31 am
FFTA was good business model, but it's not saying MMORPG's in most simple and disparity because no two players, so it's a determinable to the rich kid elements. If based game strategy in based games that much more susceptible to the price caps, trying MMORPG's can't be good business model, but short. LOL.. there a deviously good, or have over new play environment, games into players to the underdog! Any multiplayers are not exactly alike. But it's also clearly them. Then comes is simulate it allow for

Haha, this thing rocks...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #63 on: September 24, 2005, 02:48:18 am
While there's nothing wrong with a good turn based game, (My fav. ever was Bahamut Lagoon along with some other TBS-types.) I often find them too slow paced or, as stated above, too chancey. I prefer games where the outcome is entirely left to skill, reflex, and knowing ones enemy. Like chess.

...Yeah.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: September 24, 2005, 02:52:05 am

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #65 on: September 24, 2005, 02:55:10 am
[/shadow]

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: September 24, 2005, 03:09:14 am
While there's nothing wrong with a good turn based game, (My fav. ever was Bahamut Lagoon along with some other TBS-types.) I often find them too slow paced or, as stated above, too chancey. I prefer games where the outcome is entirely left to skill, reflex, and knowing ones enemy. Like chess.

...Yeah.

Ah.. yeah. When you get a bunch of people together in an interactive environment, if one person is sitting there going 'umm.. what should my next move be....', that is a bummer for people who like fast reflex games. It's good to list unit turn order so you're getting some anticipation if you do multiplayer turn based game. It would be nice to have a time limit for taking action, so you push people to act or step to the next spot in line. If you're just a single person in a game, chance and risk can be too great. Being on a team, or controlling a team in a turn based environment can be helpful.

BTW, you guys, have your fun but don't break the board :)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: September 24, 2005, 03:36:46 am
blame stairway!!!!
</ scapegoat >

:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7070/trippyredballs0za.gif
stare at the cross and see what happens :0

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #68 on: September 24, 2005, 04:21:31 am
Zolth I find it rather sad when people make those, its cool but pretty sad.  Just like those people who draw their own "Where's Waldo..."

Wow I never knew you could do the moon walk camus!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 04:28:45 am by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #69 on: September 24, 2005, 07:05:18 pm
Hmmm...
Are there any realtime board games? I wonder how that'd work...

...Nah, that'd be to chaotic with everyone reaching over the board at the same dime and all.

I've never heard of an RTS like FFTA or Fire Emblem; they're all like Warcraft or AOE. It'd be cool if you only had a limited number of units to begin with, each with its own skills, in an RTS. No creating new units or anything.

Hey, has anyone here played Savage? The concept interests me, but my computer would die if I tried playing it.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7070/trippyredballs0za.gif
stare at the cross and see what happens :0

Yaw, that is trippy.