AuthorTopic: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread  (Read 43247 times)

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Re: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread

Reply #50 on: September 23, 2005, 10:09:19 pm
I agree.. GBA games where they force you to link to fully explore the game are a ripoff, because you have to buy two copies of the game.... $$$

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #51 on: September 23, 2005, 10:25:07 pm

Shesh don't they notice that people who spend over 40 hours playing a specific game don't have friends that also have that game?  Or friends any at all?

PS Am I the only one in the world who can't stand Final Fantasy?  Am I? 
Don't you even think about playing the RPG games are too sophisticated for your shoot em up type card.  I love games like RPGs Morrowind, Fable, Indigo Prophecy, LOTR games, Yu-Gi-Oh World Champion Games, Golden Sun, Old Pokemon Games (Red, Blue, Yellow) and Magic: The Gathering, (Would The Sims 2 count as a RPG and a Sim?  I mean you can level up your character...); while I can't turn down a good shooter like Halo 2, Postal 2, Unreal, Quake and Half Life. 
It's just why have a beautiful game like Final Fantasy and make it turn based?  WHY!!
Huh, I got a weird game preference... I hate sport games and most racers, (Cruisin Series, Burnout, Rush, and NFS are good racers in my book... I have to stop rambling...
 Well this is off topic... I love this thread!
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: September 23, 2005, 10:46:46 pm
No. Personally, I have little experience, but something screams in my face that Final Fantasy is one of the most overrated titles ever. The only game worth my attention was 3/6. And I didn't even bother to complete that.

Now, there is ONE excellent FF-style RPG out there... a single one... the first RPG I ever actually completed (besides Pokemon, but that barely counts)... They call it Chrono Trigger.

Now excuse me while I go beat my eyes out with games no one who's not already into them will never understand.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: September 23, 2005, 10:51:25 pm
I agree.. GBA games where they force you to link to fully explore the game are a ripoff, because you have to buy two copies of the game.... $$$
And for me, it's not just the blatant cash grab either. I don't have a problem with games that want to sell you maps produced after the initial development to grab some cash. It, I don't know, it just drives me nuts thinking about content sitting on a cartridge or CD that I'll never see or experience. I paid for the cartridge, so why do I need to plunk down cash for another game or place a personal ad to find someone with a GBA and a copy of Boktai. And trading over a link cable just doesn't cut it. It's such a cold process devoid of any rewarding satisfaction. There is no trial process to weed out the unworthy. you just hook up and wait for the download to begin. Boktai never gave me a reward without having me prove myself worthy of it. So, why completely change the game's philosophy for 4 emblems.

Rox, FF5 was my favourite. Really enjoyed the job system. 6 is on my todo list, though. I figure I'll finally get around to it in another year or two.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #54 on: September 23, 2005, 11:16:04 pm
It, I don't know, it just drives me nuts thinking about content sitting on a cartridge or CD that I'll never see or experience.
Exactly.

About the FF series, the only reason I want to play FF7 is to just see what's so hyped up about it. Mainly, I just wanna know the story. The BS for FFtype RPGs sucks, except for Chrono Trigger. In that respect, I am in complete agreement with BIW. I love Realtime games, especially ones with good, nonlinear stories, or at least sidequests. My favorite games of these type are Terranigma, Beyond Oasis, and Soul Blazer...or Soul Blade...Soul- something for the SNES. When it comes to RPGs in general, the Mario RPGs beat everything else into the dust...'specially Superstar Saga.
"I HAVE FURY!" = t3h ub3r lol!!!1!111!!!11!

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: September 23, 2005, 11:24:00 pm
Alright, I'll step up to the plate and counter you BIW!

The LotR games are too short and feel as though they're lacking content. Definitely rentals. Later, they came out with a (active-turn?) turn based RPG LotR which seemed inspired by Final Fantasy or other MMORPG's where you played a generic person in the LotR world.

Also, there's not a lot of turn based games that have come out lately as far as RPG's, unless you're referring to the FF Chronicles or other re-releases of pre FF7 games. And even then, they were active-turn (AT) based games. Even Final Fantasy X/X-2 are using a turn system not far off from what was in Final Fantasy 4 (FF4 RULES, they should do a high quality remake), where units have different speeds at which they take another turn, but the enemies will still attack you if you don't press any buttons and idle.

Magic:TG is a great card game, has had dubious video game renditions. Unfortunately, as much as I love that card game, I have to dismiss it: You need skill, but you need cards first, and success favors the person who has money to stay with it. It loses its charm.

Pokemon put out so many games, but they weren't all that different from one another. With Pokemon Red and Blue, and all the other colors/materials they were named under, it's yet another profiteering/marketing ploy. Still, their gameplay for the portables is solid, but not as cool as the Dragon Warrior Monsters games, IMO.

Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the most impressive and tight turn based games ever made, so I have to argue against your point. I don't see turn based as something bad. The appeal to strictly turn based games like FFT is in your ability to anticipate and balance your team inbetween battles. Strategy and customization are fun. Even then, the turn's aren't static. Units take turns based on their speed rating also. Yelling for speed!!!!

I'm not a big sports game fan either, but the Madden football stuff is usually fun. My secret love is racing games. I like Gran Turismo and Burnout: each of them do things differently, but they're both great. Gran Turismo isn't 'ruined' because it's not violently crashing and exploding the vehicles. And Burnout isn't 'ruined' because it doesn't try to create an overly simulated/realistic driving experience. And for that matter, there's some other game that's rated better than Gran Turismo in terms of realism, since GT is more about giving you the experience that you think feels right, rather than a more realistic feel. I'd be happy if they brought back the Destruction Derby franchise... Twisted Metal is kind of bleh. Road Rash on the Sega Genesis was fun!

Final Fantasy 7 was fun. It had so much content and the materia system was a nice surprise.

Final Fantasy 8... two words: Triple Triad. I didn't care much for this one. The characters weren't outright repulsive yet.

Then they kept alternating chibi and normal sized characters... and the outfits were more and more gaudy. Square made me hate the main FF series.  :-\  My brother still plays them.. he sort of picked up where I left off...

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #56 on: September 23, 2005, 11:58:40 pm
place a personal ad to find someone with a GBA and a copy of Boktai.

You know it feels great to know I'm not the only one to do something similar to that.

Pep most turn based games basically go to the person with the better cards/characters that’s just the way it is.  In most cases no amount of skill or strategy can beat some tuity fruity rich kid that has the best characters and has a slightly above average skill level.  Your like those people who say there’s a strategy to baseball.  WTF game are you watching!

Thank god I'm not the only one who doesn't love FF, last forum I accidentally started a flame war that got me almost banned.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 12:01:20 am by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: September 24, 2005, 12:49:31 am
Finaly fantasy 4, 5, and 6 and mystic quest were the only ones you should ever play.

>_>

i like grid based, unit development strategy RPGs too much u_u

FFtactics was one, TO games are them <_< i actually LIKE FFTA >_<

Shooters i have problems with, i despise sports games, suck at FPSs but usually like them, and i dislike most action games but enjoy a refreshing racer or platformer every once in a while

fighting games are a nono, but killer instinct will always have  aspecial place in my heart, and i pwnz u @ SSBM LOLZ
sorry rox, rave race wasn't as good as i remembered, but i still love the slidage on that metal course :D
<_<
i know Evan's new idea but i'll let him keep it a surprise.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: September 24, 2005, 02:00:19 am
I can't seem to effectively figure out my idea. I will eventually though. Actually, I just thought of how to do it. Post it in a few minutes...

EDIT: Done...

Got 3D glasses?

If you don't, then you suck donkey.

Yeah, that's right.

I'm seeing in the third dimension while you're stuck with your two-dimensional retinas.

Bitches...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 02:07:14 am by Evan »

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #59 on: September 24, 2005, 02:06:45 am
Does anyone remember who drew this cloud breaker and if so did they finish it?
Proud to be a BMS team: