AuthorTopic: sun temple ruins tileset [C+C ]  (Read 2551 times)

Offline drax013

• View Profile

sun temple ruins tileset [C+C ]

on: April 16, 2018, 06:27:09 pm
 A tileset Im working on, it will be viewed at 2x this size. Im pretty happy with how this came out although the piece of broken pillar on the ground dose not feel quite right and I am having a hard time figuring out what it needs. Other than that any critiques are most welcome.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: sun temple ruins tileset [C+C ]

Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:43:11 pm
Ah, with this perspective the broken pillar, which is a cylinder, would either:

1- be aligned with the horizontal axis like it seems to be, and as consequence, the rounded "top" which is tilted sideways on the right end wouldn't be visible, the pillar would end in a straight vertical line on the right side, very much like if it was a 2d platformer game asset.

2- for the circular section to be visible the pillar would have to be aligned diagonally on the x y plane. That would be trickier to draw correctly, but you surely can do it if you want.

Notice the same distortion happens with the second block, the one to the right. If it's shorter side was to be shown, then it would be at an angle and it's outline wouldn't be rectangular anymore, more like a isometric cuboid.

Then again, you are obviously free to take liberties with your perspective, if you do it intentionally :)

Offline drax013

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:21:33 pm
Thanks that dose actually make sense, i will work on it a bit later.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:42:23 pm
It would also benefit the piece a lot if you gave some tridimentionality to the floor tiles.  You highlighted them all around to show that the borders are beveled. However, at this perspective you could give the viewer more hints that the tiles are on the ground, so it's best to not show the northern (upper) lighter bevels of the tiles, since the perspective would hide them from view.

Also, this is optional and just a trick, not a geometric error, but floor tiles work better when they are wider than taller. As eishiya often says here, floor tiles can truly be of any shape, but as we are used to see them in front of us at an angle from above, them appear squashed to us. If floor tiles are wider we recognize them more easily as floor pieces, as distinguished from walls blocks, but this definitely not obligatory, just a trick to help the viewer.

Offline drax013

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 05:16:16 pm
So I did some work on the floor tile and tried to "squish" it down and give it more 3rd dimension ness, ( im assuming thats what you meant Vinik?)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 05:28:56 pm
That definitely looks more like a floor viewed from an oblique angle, yes!

The light borders around the tile edges look a bit off though, as they neither read like (correct) lighting nor as a decorative pattern. If they're meant to be decorative, I think you should make them thicker and not so solid.

Offline drax013

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 06:13:18 pm
did a couple real quick designs on the tiles, not really liking any of these..... i was thinking of making the stones have a little more of a glittery feel, kinda like they were made from something that had flecks of metals or something in it.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 06:44:16 pm
I see you made the horizontal lines thinner than the vertical ones, which is good since it matches the perspective, but the effect is rather lost because of how you have the shadows, making the horizontal borders look as thick as the vertical ones. Pushing the shadows up a pixel helps:

(Though I'd consider making the vertical patterns even thicker, just to really push the difference. That depends on the perspective you're going for though. For isometric-esque games with a lower camera, that would work well, but it wouldn't work well for something with a higher camera.)

An additional problem is the floor segments have a lot of space between them. We shouldn't be able to see the sides of each sett/floor-tile because of the tiles in front of it. In this edit, I pushed them all closer together, and let the shadows suggest that there's depth and little gaps in the corners:

(Also, this one tiles better than the original, the original had spacing on both sides of the tile image, resulting in inconsistent spacing overall.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:47:31 pm by eishiya »

Offline drax013

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:05:18 am
Ok so I attempted to use eishiya's suggestion of thinning the seams between the tiles. The top is the new thinned tile and the bottom is the older version.