AuthorTopic: My first pixel-art character!  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Ghalandar

• Ghalandar94
    • View Profile

My first pixel-art character!

on: April 12, 2018, 08:32:28 pm
Hello!

This is my first pixel-art character! I'm a gamedev working on a personal project, I have no art background but I'm trying my best, and want to become good in this awesome style. I would love to know your thoughts on this character, I'm here to learn from my mistakes, don't be afraid to hurt my feelings :)

I feel like the shadings and shape of the character still need improvement, but I'm a little lost. Also, I'm afraid to add too much detail, because I want the sprite to be easily recognizable and not too complex.

Background: I'm working on a Diablo-like game prototype (dark horror fantasy, full of demons and blood), and this would be one of the main characters you can control!

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: My first pixel-art character!

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:06:29 pm
For your first character, I think it looks pretty cool! Reminds me of the Kratos! I'm no expert but I'll give you my thoughts.

I think you should change the brown on his skin to a lighter flesh tone and maybe even add one more skin shade. Right now it's too dark and you've lots of brown there anyway. Instead (or maybe in addition to) of giving him abs, I'd experiment with shading more defined pectoral muscles. I'd also experiment with making the legs one pixel thicker maybe. Good luck!

Offline Ghalandar

• Ghalandar94
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:33:42 am
For your first character, I think it looks pretty cool! Reminds me of the Kratos! I'm no expert but I'll give you my thoughts.

I think you should change the brown on his skin to a lighter flesh tone and maybe even add one more skin shade. Right now it's too dark and you've lots of brown there anyway. Instead (or maybe in addition to) of giving him abs, I'd experiment with shading more defined pectoral muscles. I'd also experiment with making the legs one pixel thicker maybe. Good luck!

Thank you for your help! :D Kratos was my main reference so it seems like a did a decent job! Hahaha

When I get home I'll try to apply your feedback :) Stay tuned!

Offline GoodyPundit

• Gamer turn into a game dev <3
    • goodypundit
    • baguspundit
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/160961.htm
    • goodygameworks
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/goodygameworks

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 03:03:22 pm
What heyguy mention is right  ;D
I think it's better to have more shade in the body, to emphasize the "volume" of the character,
but the overall complexity it also according to you  :y:

Also be careful on putting similar red and brown color close to each other.
Maybe better to make the red color a bit more "brighter" ?

Good Job man!

Offline Ghalandar

• Ghalandar94
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 04:20:41 pm
Thank you for your feedback heyguy and GoodyPundit!! :D

I made some changes based on yours and others feedback! What do you think?

Same red color

Brighter red (I'm not sure about this one, I feel like the red stands out too much! Thoughts? :P)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:28:40 pm by Ghalandar »

Offline GoodyPundit

• Gamer turn into a game dev <3
    • goodypundit
    • baguspundit
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/160961.htm
    • goodygameworks
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/goodygameworks

Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 03:05:45 am
I'm still voting for the brighter red  :lol:
Is the current size is the final size that the players will see in the game?
If it yes, then for me it's better to have the red stands out  :)

Offline Ghalandar

• Ghalandar94
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 10:41:38 am
I'm still voting for the brighter red  :lol:
Is the current size is the final size that the players will see in the game?
If it yes, then for me it's better to have the red stands out  :)

Thanks for your feedback! :P Actually his size will be like 1/7th of the screen height!

Offline Ghalandar

• Ghalandar94
    • View Profile

[CC] A PixelArt barbarian for my Diablo like game!

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 10:50:30 am
Hello again!

Today I bring you the barbarian from the last post... Animated! Ohh yeah!!

The last post feedback made me see the mistakes and improve the character. I have learned a lot. Thank you all!

As always, I'm a newbie and here to learn! Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, all feedback is appreciated :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [CC] A PixelArt barbarian for my Diablo like game!

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 02:04:58 pm
Since it's a continuation of the previous piece, I think it's best to put it in the same thread. If you report your own post, the mods will merge the threads.

The near shoulder had a nice light on it in the still version, it's a shame you didn't keep it. The rimlight-like light spot there doesn't make any sense. Ditto for the other shoulder, but that one was always like that.

The chest seems to drop a lot, but the head and shoulders hardly move. The torso would have to rotate forward for the chest to eclipse the abs, which means they would appear to come down a lot. If that's not what you're going for, then the pecs shouldn't move so much downward (maybe not at all).

Offline Ghalandar

• Ghalandar94
    • View Profile

Re: [CC] A PixelArt barbarian for my Diablo like game!

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 02:53:27 pm
Since it's a continuation of the previous piece, I think it's best to put it in the same thread. If you report your own post, the mods will merge the threads.

The near shoulder had a nice light on it in the still version, it's a shame you didn't keep it. The rimlight-like light spot there doesn't make any sense. Ditto for the other shoulder, but that one was always like that.

The chest seems to drop a lot, but the head and shoulders hardly move. The torso would have to rotate forward for the chest to eclipse the abs, which means they would appear to come down a lot. If that's not what you're going for, then the pecs shouldn't move so much downward (maybe not at all).

Thank you for your detailed feedback! :) I just reported the thread to the mods so they could merge it with the older one!

The idea was to hunch forward in an aggressive manner like Kratos, from God Of War. I'll try to work harder on the lighting! Any guide / tutorial / basic learning on lighting you could recommend?