AuthorTopic: Tileset/ Overworld sprite sizes  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Vatterju

• strangeness
    • Vatterju
    • Vatterju
    • View Profile

Tileset/ Overworld sprite sizes

on: April 10, 2018, 03:05:06 pm
Hello! I was hoping to get some advice regarding the overworld sprites and tiles for a game i'm working on. I'm using a topdown view, similar to Pokemon or the early Zelda titles. I chose a size of 32x32, both for space and readability, but I'm wondering if it's too big. My plan for the final game is to have each sprite enlarged to two times its size, and that might end up being an issue if the overworld seems squashed. Any advice would be highly appreciated!
Here's a small example of how sprites will look.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: Tileset/ Overworld sprite sizes

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:56:46 pm
It would be easier to give crits if we had some context for your sprite. What exactly is he? Looks like an owl or a bug to me. Not sure what exactly is going on with his lower half- is he balanced on a ball?
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 03:42:17 am
If you are going with a 2x zoom then 32x32 as the standard tile size is probably a good fit, any higher than 2x zoom however and you might want to consider halving the size to 16x16, depends on how you want your game to look and play really, also I am assuming you are running it on a standard 1920x1080 monitor and running the game fullscreen but it also depends on what resolution the game is running at and what your screen size is, obviously if you are using a 4k monitor it will probably be different.

Offline Vatterju

• strangeness
    • Vatterju
    • Vatterju
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:35:52 am
It would be easier to give crits if we had some context for your sprite. What exactly is he? Looks like an owl or a bug to me. Not sure what exactly is going on with his lower half- is he balanced on a ball?
No, actually, it's a giant bug that looks like this.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:00:10 pm
I like him a lot! The only significant problem I see is the lack of contrast between the black and the dark green, which is also to far from the "bright" color. Although the red is not bright in itself, the general color balance has the mid shade too close to the black. Are you on a fixed pallette like NES or GBC? If not I would suggest less saturation to bring the colors closer together, and then set more natural ramp, like a warmer, a bit lighter green for the mid shade, and a more orange-ish red.

I think he is more like a two 16x16 tiles tall creature than a 32x32 object, as that would be  the size of its collison mask in game, the wings would just be overflow.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:19:55 pm by Vinik »

Offline Vatterju

• strangeness
    • Vatterju
    • Vatterju
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:49:32 am
I like him a lot! The only significant problem I see is the lack of contrast between the black and the dark green, which is also to far from the "bright" color. Although the red is not bright in itself, the general color balance has the mid shade too close to the black. Are you on a fixed pallette like NES or GBC? If not I would suggest less saturation to bring the colors closer together, and then set more natural ramp, like a warmer, a bit lighter green for the mid shade, and a more orange-ish red.

I think he is more like a two 16x16 tiles tall creature than a 32x32 object, as that would be  the size of its collison mask in game, the wings would just be overflow.

I am indeed using a fixed palette, as this is a GBC style game, however i could use one of the other shades of green on his battle sprite to make it more readable. Also, thank you for the advice regarding his sprite size, I'm still not sure what to do there.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 05:13:55 pm
Ah, I made a dirty edit to add his pincers the last time you posted and completely forgot it:

It is not great but it might give some ideas in making him look more dangerous, he is currently the friendly neighbor bee-owl buddy.
Please, ignore the colors, did on my phone screen.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:14:43 am by Vinik »