AuthorTopic: tree in purples C+C  (Read 2567 times)

Offline drax013

• View Profile

tree in purples C+C

on: April 04, 2018, 05:32:36 am
Just a slightly unconventional tree I was messing around with, yes the I was attempting to use the mid tone as the outline for most of the other leaves... I liked the cut out look. would love to heart peoples thoughts on it!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: tree in purples C+C

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 06:19:31 am
it kinda looks like you sputtered out halfway through adding the highlights, and on top of that the leaf outlines give it kind of an unpleasant sharp feeling. Maybe if it's supposed to be made of stained glass it'd work, but here it kinda just looks noisy. Gives the impression it's made out of tubes.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline drax013

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:41:50 pm
Hmmm i was going for a little bit of a crystalline feel but still wanted somewhat organic... it is still just a prototype for now. The area Im attempting to create is going to be an elemental forest .... 

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:51:04 am
Interesting design! This looks like it was tedious work, all those leaves ~ :lol: It does have an unfinished look due to the highlights being only on top and the outline around the leaves. I do like the idea of a purple elemental tree though! Would love to see how this turns out!

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:34:08 pm
Just a slightly unconventional tree I was messing around with, yes the I was attempting to use the mid tone as the outline for most of the other leaves... I liked the cut out look. would love to heart peoples thoughts on it!

Though this will seem pretty painful to do, I highly recommend scrapping the work you've done with your leaves and starting over. As things stand now there are large issues with lighting, banding and pillow shading; all of which are things that you seriously want to avoid. You also choose to use an outline on the leaves (a light colored one at that, for some reason) when no such outline exists on the trunk of the tree. I know that you want a sort of "cut out" look but at the moment things look pretty disjointed.

Pixel clustering really works better for leaves and trees than drawing little individualistic details and hoping that it all comes together in the end. Pixel clustering works better because you can communicate depth, light, form and the like much more easily... all the while avoiding the uncanny valley look and feel of your piece.

All in all, you're doing OK so far for where you stand. Trees can be difficult and getting them to look natural and not artificial or too rigid can be hard. I suggest looking up tutorials for pixel clustering and examples of tree's that are made with that method as well.

I know it might not really be the "look" you're after but if the look you're after is riddled with a lot of fundamental issues then sometimes its better to take a few steps back and evaluate since going forward will usually just create bad habits and more problems.

Offline drax013

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:32:16 pm

Though this will seem pretty painful to do, I highly recommend scrapping the work you've done with your leaves and starting over. As things stand now there are large issues with lighting, banding and pillow shading; all of which are things that you seriously want to avoid. You also choose to use an outline on the leaves (a light colored one at that, for some reason) when no such outline exists on the trunk of the tree. I know that you want a sort of "cut out" look but at the moment things look pretty disjointed.

Pixel clustering really works better for leaves and trees than drawing little individualistic details and hoping that it all comes together in the end. Pixel clustering works better because you can communicate depth, light, form and the like much more easily... all the while avoiding the uncanny valley look and feel of your piece.

All in all, you're doing OK so far for where you stand. Trees can be difficult and getting them to look natural and not artificial or too rigid can be hard. I suggest looking up tutorials for pixel clustering and examples of tree's that are made with that method as well.

I know it might not really be the "look" you're after but if the look you're after is riddled with a lot of fundamental issues then sometimes its better to take a few steps back and evaluate since going forward will usually just create bad habits and more problems.

I appreciate the critiques! it is a learning and unfinished piece so all the info i can get in helping me to make my art better is useful. I will see if i can find some tutorials on clustering and try again. i am not completely stuck on the way this tree came out so it is all good!. Thank you  ;D