AuthorTopic: Fighting Game Background  (Read 10068 times)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Fighting Game Background

on: September 16, 2005, 08:47:47 pm
Hey everybody. it's been ages since I've pixeled. so I got my self build up to make a Fighting Game Background  Style Image. So, I here are the 3 first steps, not counting the drawing and the line tracing.

so, here they are. I wanna do some sort of Cuban like Street and the sun set, so I can use alot of light and shadow.

take care,

Kazuya Mochu
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Re: Fighting Game Background

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 09:15:41 pm
I like the line-art, and the start is very good  :D

Not more to comment for the moment.

Offline Pegucha

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 09:39:02 pm
Problem I see is with the perspective. I havn't seen any fighting game bgs with such a strong perspective so close to the foreground. That's not saying that it won't work, but when you actually put fighter sprites on the bg they may look pasted and not really blend into it. Looks cool so far though. I'm interested to see how this comes out.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 09:53:48 pm
Good colour study. Include dissolving of the long shadows, the ambient bounces of the colour against the walls and a lot of diffraction. Too soon to say anything more.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 08:26:25 pm
yeah now that I look at it, it doesn't fit much into a fighting game. but I was looking for that look.
an helm, points taken. I'll look into what you said a bit better.

take care,

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline garsh

• I'll trade you 9 mouses for a pencil.
    • View Profile

more ranting from an ignorant boob

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 10:27:35 pm
I wasn't gonna say anything, 'cause I figured you know what you're doing and it looks like you have a definite direction with this and you're confident about it. And you should be, it's great, even so unfinished.

So I have to disagree with some of the above comments. You toyed with the perspective a bit and I think you did it just right. I'm pretty sure I've seen fighters, especially later generation 2D Capcom games like X-Men vs. Street Fighter that did just what you're doing, if not more so. It's exaggerated, but it looks like a fish eye lens persective or something, and it even lends a bit of whimsy to the scene. That's likely why Capcom chose that route; just a style element to punch up the X-Men comic theme.

If you consider the middle-ground area as your "stage" where the characters will be, I don't the edges of the scene will disrupt the look at all. It's your piece, though, so do whatever feels best to you.

At this point it brings to mind visions of Metal Slug town areas, and that can't be a bad thing. Your art is gorgeous, keep at it. I want to see this finished. I'm not a big fan of extreme lighting or even Cuban-esque scenery, but something you did here evokes appreciation in me for something I wouldn't usually like.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 04:58:18 am

Dudley's stage from SF3

Offline Pegucha

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 05:39:57 am
Hmm good point Camus  ;)

Perhaps it's simply a problem with the viewing position rather than the perpective. In Kazuya's bg the elevation of the view is a ways from the ground. While in the sf3 bg the view is very close to the ground, creating a strong sense of divergence in the foreground; allowing sprites to seemingly stand on the ground. Of course, these are just my thoughts.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 06:29:18 am
heh, I think you pretty much nailed it Pechuga. ;D I wanted to see what points the pic made by itself, rather than slobbering my oppinion all over the place...and seeing you apreciate it actually made me change my whole oppinion on the subject.

oe....y porque pechuga? XD es demasiado chistoso para mi leer eso en pixelatio---opolis, por lo que pechuga es "slang" para teta y todo eso....:p

you guys dont wanna know what that translates into :p

The perspective is indeed really high, and more importantly what that causes is the eye-fish type distortion to be on the foreground area (where the sprites'll be, and no perspective should take effect) rather than on the far off background

Had it been far off in the background, I think it would've been much easier to fit scrolling fighter sprites on it, since the only traces of perspective would've been the diagonal lines, which are pretty commonplace in fighter BGs anyway

Big thumbs up for Kazu anyways, for daring to just go with his feeling, I think you should finish this even  if just for shits 'n giggles...maybe we can do like with that other background and do a japanese mask theme thingy :p

oh, and I was disappointed you dropped the whole purple shadow idea in the later stages, that would've made it much more interesting hue-wise, and it would've also fitted the fact that there's all that purple reflective light surrounding the building.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 08:19:52 am
Heh, so far the coloring and stuff is coming great.
Is this that background you were talking about that day?
Pretty much all the crits and points have been said, so time for me to remain in silence, heh, but looking forward to see more updates

oe....y porque pechuga? XD es demasiado chistoso para mi leer eso en pixelatio---opolis, por lo que pechuga es "slang" para teta y todo eso....:p

you guys dont wanna know what that translates into :p
Jaja Pegucha, y no Pechuga XDD
En que estarias pensando uhmmm  ::)
haha just kidding