AuthorTopic: Mushroom  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Grynz

• View Profile

Mushroom

on: November 22, 2006, 12:28:33 am

Uhn, it's not bad, but it could be ways better.
Edits are welcomed

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Re: Mushroom

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 01:36:48 am
Well, I think that looks quite nice for what it is. It doesn't really do much for me on its own. I mean it's a mushroom and that's about it. So what you could do is maybe give it a background and develop it into a scene of some sorts, or perhaps give it a bit of a magical feel by adding some glowing parts of sparkling to it. I guess another option would be give it a face and such to make it a little more interesting.

I might also suggest giving it a bit of a shadow under the mushroom's cap. The light seems to be coming from the top left so you'd probably have a bit of a diagonal shadow ( \ ). Looks good so far just try to develop it a bit more to add interest.

Offline Grynz

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 11:32:43 pm
Thanks for the ideas.

Updated

I'm having problens with that grass.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:39:24 pm by Grynz »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 01:39:32 am
:0' that grass is such a yummy color. I see this piece going somewhere  :y:.  To focus on the grass for the bit, I think why it looks off is because it has no depth; you hafta make some blades and/or patches stick out a bit with a tad heavier shading.  You could also start by adding some frayed grass around the objects, so instead of a carpet look, some grass actually covers the stuff here and there--you've got that a little already, but I'd make it stand out a bit more by going a little farther.

On to the mushrooms... They've got great shape to them so far, and the color is good for now, but some problems come in on the dithering... you've got a good thing going with the slightly larger splotches--adds nice texture--but I think you could kick up the dithering a bit; instead of only going out two pixels, go out a few more in some spots, it will help make the colors blend more smoothly.

As for the smoking martian (he's smoking right? if he is, maybe make the cigarette stand out a bit more with some more saturated colors, maybe borrowed from the orange mushroom) I love him, great addition. But if you notice, on his stomach, there's some pillow shading going on that you should probably take notice to.

All in all a great piece.  If you pull through, this is going to be a very amazing piece. :y:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 01:41:20 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 06:23:25 am
This a good start. The position of the sun in the sky doesn't match the shading of the rest of the scene. We shouldn't be able to see the sun, actually.

The colours for the grass are extreme, you need to cut their saturation way back, and increase introduce a shadow tone for them...no doubt gleanable from the shading on the little sprite or whatever he is :). Also the perspective of the scene seems off...the way the grass ends implies the viewer's eye level is low, but the aspect of the sprite and mushrooms seems to imply the viewer's eye level is higher.

I'd be inclined to make it all in the perspective of a low eye level...so we would be peeking at the underside of the mushroom crowns.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 08:03:29 am
The colours for the grass are extreme, you need to cut their saturation way back, and increase introduce a shadow tone for them...

I wouldn't say the saturation should be cut back as much as I'd say the contrast between the colors used for the grass should be increased--if that means lowering the saturation a tad, so be it, but it'd be such a shame to lose that delicious color; it adds to the whole "alice-in-wonderland"-happy-trippy feel that the piece already has going for it.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Grynz

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 06:07:42 pm

Updated. Thanks for the crits.
Still haven't been able to fix the grass. It is being kind of hard.   =x