AuthorTopic: Here goes a slime  (Read 5417 times)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Here goes a slime

on: March 27, 2018, 08:25:14 pm
It is boring, It is dumb, its a slime minion (24x24ish):

I tried to make the irises bounce to make him look dumber, but gave it a more human like face to avoid the typical green-ghost shape. This is just a minimal three frames cycle, how many do you guys think should be enough? Any general tips on where to start improving it? I am pretty green regarding animation techniques. I think it moves too much for the idle state, so this will probably become the south facing moving animation. Thank you all in advance, as always. :)

Offline drax013

• View Profile

Re: Here goes a slime

Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 04:09:38 am
I found between 4 and 6 to look more fluid.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 04:09:53 am
he looks like he's pressing against the edges of an invisible glass Because of the round disc base you gave him.

rather than fix it I'd roll with it, slime in a jar! WOO!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:24:05 pm
Thanks @Drax and @Meat, I did this small update for the 8 directions before I got the chance to read your comments:

Do you guys think I should make him somehow translucent so that the eyes and mouth can be seen partially from the back of the slime? I dont know if I can pull that off.

@Drax, I will surely increase the number of frames, but I am not sure if I should put some easing or tweening on a simple bounce motion like this, and if I should, which frames should be added where :/

@Meat, this is a super cool idea, now I must definitely play with slimes taking shapes, the game will have some cross sections of pipes (like mario3dworld) and this would be a perfect twist, maybe even a slime-in-a-lab-tube as the armored version of the minion. I really need to learn how to draw glass ;D. As for the invisible wall effect you are absolutely right, and I have to figure out a way to fix it without exceeding width of 24px.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 05:27:32 pm by Vinik »

Offline Kairos

• xlion95
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 09:09:55 pm
I think he looks really well being opaque but the smoothness of the edges bothers me. I feel that the edges of the slime should have bubbles and globs

Offline drax013

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 12:55:09 am
A very helpful person gave me this link about animation and I found it EXTREMELY helpful, I hope you find it as instructive as I did.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBFsTqbKhY

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 03:13:13 am
@Kairos: Yeah, all my stuff tends to the regular-geometric side of things, and since the game uses fake 3d on a topdown perspective I was until recently all about rendering the basic forms for collision in 2:1 ratio perspective, so I still gravitate to elipses, cuboid shapes etc, this is where the smooth circle shape came from. Making the border more blob like was my first idea for a solution to the invisible wall Mystery Meat mentioned. Maybe something semi-regular like this will work? I think it adds cuteness, which is not bad for minions. I'll just have to animate it somehow later:

@Drax: Thank you very much man :), the video is super clear and I am sure I'll learn from it :y:

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 01:39:10 pm
I just thought that I should offset the position of the blobs on the back and diagonal sprites, so that they wont appear to remain in place with only the face turning around, and then animate them, with increased frame count, argh. And this is the simplest monster with no walk cycle and the same geometry across the directions, I might have played myself choosing this style :D. Any opinions on the blobbed edge before I start? Thank you all in advance.

Offline Melodee

• omg
    • jarajaramelon
    • beardedgrandma
    • Jara de Nooijer
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 01:53:05 pm
the style is really nice altho ye the design (slime) i dislike, is kinda boring. wouldn't really use that in my own game XDD i hate slimes.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 02:47:10 pm
Blobbed up version, I think it removed the invisible container effect, needs some clearing up:

@Melodee I hear you, I am all for averting cliches, but in this case I am playing with the tropes of jrpgs. I am also forcing myself to draw basic and commonplace rpg things my own way as good exercise.