AuthorTopic: Moira (portrait with c64 colors)  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Moira (portrait with c64 colors)

on: November 23, 2006, 10:51:35 pm
Hi everyone. I've decided to stop hiding and start posting.  :P This is just an attempt at using the c64 palette (not the c64 restrictions, though)...I gave it a good try but I'm not entirely happy with it, so hit me with both barrels.  ;)
(the shoulders are still underworked because I got bored   :-\)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Re: Moira (portrait with c64 colors)

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 05:13:31 am
Left Barrel (Good)
Lines. Well drawn. It's a cartoony girl. Very clear despite the color complexity.
Highlights on face. Defines the cheeks and nose.

Right Barrel (Bad)
Eye brows. The right one looks much darker that the left. Left needs more dark pixels around it.
Hair highlight. On the left side, it's broken up in several places, not attractive. Make it one line, use slightly darker colors to AA it some.
Black in hair. Too many black pixels. Contours/part looks harsh. Black may not be needed at all.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the whole "mix as many palette entries in one place as possible" style, you pull it off well here. Keep posting!

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 05:20:09 am
In all honesty I sloshed the colors around like that because I didn't know how to make a good skin tone in c64  :P Thanks for your help! I'll update it as soon as I get a chance :)

Edit:

Here's taking your comments into account  :) (I lightened the right eyebrow instead of darkening the left one).

Any ideas on how to make her skin look less scary? I tried using just the pink color, but wasn't satisfied.
As always, all criticism appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 06:03:27 pm by Checkworth »

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:53:16 am
Sorry for the double post (in fact, a bump) but I wanted to try once more for further opinions  ;) I want to try some more things in this style, or a subdued version of it at least, (as soon as it isn't finals week, haha) so I would love to hear your thoughts on how I might improve. (And not just improvement on this particular style, but in fact any opinions at all. Your silence wounds my soul, you've no idea  :( :'( :P).

Ayup, that's all!

edit: heyyyy....I just noticed that my program seems to have messed up the colors from one file to the next!  :mean: Unless it's my imagination the more recent picture looks a little washed out. Sorry about that! I don't rightly know what happened  :-\  though it doesn't necessarily look worse  :P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:55:14 am by Checkworth »