AuthorTopic: school sketch  (Read 7170 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

school sketch

on: September 16, 2005, 01:27:40 am
I came up with this cool little concept while in school and since its not pixel art (yet), I'll post this in the general forum...turned out pretty cool i think.  I can't decide whether i should pixel it or CG color it.  If i did Pixel it, It'd probably benifit most by being pretty large and that'd take alot of work - but it might be worth it.  Whatcha guys think?

Demon-Angel:

The halo would act as the light source - illuminating the inside of the wings while silver-lining the outer edges of the wing.  It'd also provide pretty dramatic lighting over the muscels since it is a very close/overhead light source.

any thoughts on what i should do with it? C+C?

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Re: school sketch

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 05:37:42 am
Pixel it  :o
That is some composition you got there. Sketch, pfft. I'd call that master-piece.  :P
Definately pixel it, though - it would be very cool.  ::)

aka: Zoomrix

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 07:55:11 am
Looks pretty damned solid except the one thing that bugs me are his wrists...doesn't seem to be much of any. If you take a look at your own, there's that jutting bone where the arm meets the hand and it sticks out slightly. Your guy looks like there's no bone there at all - just one big solid mass. Hope that makes sense  :-\

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 09:08:37 am
Reminds me so much of a game I've been playing lately. 'Tis a platformer for Sega based on Disneys 'Gargoles' cartoon. I'm sure plenty of gargole-like characters have existed, and you've drawn from numerous sources of inspiration, but this just really stood out for me!

The game includes mainly pixel graphics, and employs some rather interesting lighting shades in some levels. I took the liberty to take some screenshots which I put into a composite picture:

Could be cool if you're looking for a reference. There are more shots of the game here: http://www.games4win.com/games/gargoyles/

On the sketch: I like how you've shaded the space around his feet darkly, really gives the character a nice platform. The lightsource looks neat, really reminds me of the 'Game Over' screen on platform games. The detail on the wings is the major difference between your drawing and the Gargoyle character. I'd imagine texturing them in pixel could be quite tedius, but a challenge all the same. Good luck!

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 07:07:01 am
another bored-at-school sketch....turned out to have a Splat feel to it, but that was unintensional.  I'm also kinda iffy on how the torso is so long in contrast to the short legs.  meh, turned out okay i guess

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 09:40:25 am
Wow.. those sketches are so awesome.

I do draw myself, and consider myself a pretty decent drawer, but those are just.. so awesome, considering the minimal to no shading done on them ;D
I think you should pixel the first one, the second seems more like a CG piece.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 03:33:27 pm
Very cool. We need a sketch/speed paint thread.
@darionmccoy

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 08:45:03 pm
negative gravity:
heh - thanks man.  If i ever get some time to spare at the computer i'll definately give it a go.....dang - i also have that pirate thing to do

pixel blink:
that makes perfect sense.  I knew of this problem as i was drawing it, but the challenge for me was I wanted the fore-arms to be extremely exagerated; even larger than the upper arm.  When i did this it was hard for me to define a wrist area, although i probably could have done better.  I'll fix it when i pixel it.

istvan:
wow - those shots are nice.  I especially like how they had the lightsource to everything underneith the characters with high contrast.  gives it a nice feel very similar to the feel i was trying to achieve in my sketch.  thanks.

LuciferianSoul:
heh, thanks alot.  yeah i got lazy and decided not to finish shading the first one....then i got even more lazy and decided not to shade the second one all-together.

Darion:
I definately agree.  This place could benifit alot from a sketch/speed paint thread.  I have always found them to be a great source of inspiration and ideas.  Not only that, it could also help people with lineart if need be.  maybe we should start a petition for one or something.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 04:54:25 am
some more for ya all:

I decided to try my hand at CG to create my first CG portrait... I think i'll go and color it now

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 04:55:51 am
As was said by me on aim - that is pure ...  :o
Especially that reflection on a lip. Bacrabus! Great job :)

aka: Zoomrix