AuthorTopic: [Feedback][WIP] Another monster animation (Fighter egg?)  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile
Hi folks,

i've been working on this guy yesterday and made some animation. Any feedback is welcome!

First i wanted to create something which is similiar to Dizzy character from 90's but then i got a bit carried away... :D

Let me know what do you think!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [Feedback][WIP] Another monster animation (Fighter egg?)

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 03:00:12 pm
The 1px shadow under the do-rag at such a small sprite size looks like a very substantial shadow, making the fabric look very thick. At this size, I  think you'd be better off having the cast shadow drawn only on the fabric and not on the skin, or not having it at all.
The shading on the do-rag and the rest of the body are inconsistent. If the fabric is more or less flush with the skin, as the silhouette suggests, why does the shading differ so much?
Why is there a shadow next to the eye? Is the eye meant to be set into the skin? In that case, you'd probably want to show that using the silhouette of the other eye.

The green markings merge with the other clusters (eyes, hand, foot) because of their similar values to those clusters, and as a result make the sprite not read correctly. Try using lighter greens, so that they clearly read as just part of the face. In addition, be more careful with their positions in different frames. The green near the eye is flush against the eye in the idle, but is 1px away when the head is turned in the punching and walking, and the green on the far cheek does not appear to move between those two different head positions.

When the character makes "angry eyes", the highlights blend with the skin so the eyes look like cute little u_u eyes. I think this is a scenario where a 1px cast shadow across the tops of the highlights would be beneficial. I'd perhaps go as far as using the black rather than just the blue, but try it both ways, perhaps the blue could be enough. If the light blue is not enough and the black is too much, try the mid-blue that you use for shading the body.

The punching animation doesn't feel very snappy, resulting in a very weak-looking punch. This is because the hand takes so long to travel forward. Try cutting out the middle frame of the forward motion, so the arm snaps from being wound back to its final position. Try holding the arm in its final position longer before moving back to the neutral position.
You could also increase the force of the punch by having the arm overshoot its position by 1-2px and then move it back to its final position where you'd hold it. You already do this on the face and it works well there.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:49:49 pm
Thanks a lot for your amazing feedback eishiya! I really appreciate it that you took your time and pointed that many things out. :)

I did some reworks , please take a look!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 09:46:43 pm
The punch animation's looking better! I think you need to hold on the extended arm longer though.
The angry eyes in the punch animation are much more readable, though I'd lower the eyelids even more. You didn't add the dark bit in the running animation, so that still has U-shaped eyes.

Some suggestions for colour tweaks:

- more contrast on the do-rag, as your shadows were practically invisible
- reused the shadow colour for the blue in the eyes, I think the extra contrast helps. If you want low contrast, then just don't use any blue at all, it doesn't seem needed.
- you went a bit too sub-dued with the green spots, you could afford to bring back more of their greenness. In particular, it makes no sense for the green in the shadows to be lighter than the shadows, since the spots are supposed to be darker than the skin.

I tried editing the punching animation:

I removed one of your punch-forward frames (the fewer frames, the faster/snappier it feels), and instead added an extra frame at the end of the punch, and held it twice as long as the others. I think this makes it feel stronger. You could hold that frame even longer, such as 3x or 4x as long as the others.
I also tweaked the eyes in this edit, while I was at it. All I did was move a blue pixel down, and it looks angrier.
I didn't edit the anticipation, but I do think it would benefit from being longer.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 10:43:16 am
I still am beginner on pixelart and animation but i shouldn't have missed that light green on the skin. I should be ashamed :D

Thanks for the tips. I've added a single extra frame and made followed your idea about the eyes and i think it looks way better now!