AuthorTopic: Pixel Kylo Ren  (Read 2733 times)

Offline tyshka

• View Profile

Pixel Kylo Ren

on: March 19, 2018, 08:39:06 am
Hey there
I've been working on this piece for some time, but I'm kinda stuck now. I'm not very happy about the arms. Do you guys have any ideas how I can improve this?

Offline jjgms

• Environmental pixel artist.
    • jjdevt
    • https://jackx5.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Kylo Ren

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 08:44:11 pm
Doesn't look bad to me.

Offline YDVitamins

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 01:05:22 am
I tried to do a quick sketch over it and see what could be done.

I don't know anything about Star Wars, but from how stocky he looks in your image, I just imagined he was a beefcake. Also, I am by no means an anatomy expert, so pardon if it looks cartoonish. I've seen some here color out the muscle groups, maybe that person will stop by.

The big thing here is proportion and foreshortening. His shoulders are wide, but his left arm is thin and too far out. Bring that whole arm in some, thicken it, and get a little more exaggerated with the ribbing in his sleeve to show more direction and depth. We want it to look like that elbow is going back in space, and we want to keep the length of the upper arm equal to the length of the forearm. Right now, the upper arm looks shorter than the forearm.

For his right arm and hand, it's again more foreshortening. The hand and forearm are closer to us in space, so we want them to be larger—they're too small right now. And the curve of the ribbing on the forearm can be a little deeper too, just to push that illusion of perspective. (I changed the angle of your hand a little in my sketch, but that's not necessarily a suggestion, that's just me not into hands today, lol). You may want to add some visible darks and red highlight in that hand, too. It's pitch black and no light escapes it.

That's all I see, though. I hope that helps!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 01:20:48 am
You have a LOT of noise here on the neck cloth. makes those parts of the cape around his neck kiiinda look like tentacles burrowing out. try reducing the highlights and smoothing it a bit so it looks like proper fabric.

There's also noise on the main body there but it kinda makes it look more leathery than anything which is probably fine

got some pillow shading on the helmet, I think. Pick a light source and stick with it, try not to have two here since it takes away from the dramatic lightsaber lighting
Other elements in the picture should also be picking up red from the saber.

The way he's holding the saber is kind of super awkward, grab something and try to hold it at that angle to see what I mean.
Finally, Kylo's lightsaber has a LOT of irregularity in the films, try studying some of the scenes he has it out to get a better feel for the chaotic burning energy he has on there
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline tyshka

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 05:25:53 pm
OK, thanks for the advises, I've moved the arm that was too far away, I've made the hand bigger, to look as it's closer, I've also lowered it a bit, that might also help a bit.
I tried to reduce all the unnecessary pixels on his cloak and tunic.
I'll try to change the lightsaber next. I'm not sure about doing anything more with the helmet, I'm too afraid I'm gonna mess it up :<

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 06:52:10 pm
think of it this way: you have the original posts here on pixelation. worst case scenario you could download the original image here and it copy paste the helmet from there over the current one to undo whatever mistakes you might make

Offline tyshka

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 02:02:13 pm
think of it this way: you have the original posts here on pixelation. worst case scenario you could download the original image here and it copy paste the helmet from there over the current one to undo whatever mistakes you might make
Yeah, fair enough

Ok, so I've changed the lightsaber, and played around with shading on the helmet and on the clothes

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 06:13:53 pm
Getting closer. Get wilder with the lightsaber, try to break up the tubeyness of it. Kylo's thing kinda EXPLODES energy, so try a more jagged lightning aesthetic for the main saber's edge lights

As for the helmet, try and shade the left side of the metal bits a bit more