AuthorTopic: [WIP] Critique and help for a first bigger drawing  (Read 2123 times)

Offline krmko

• View Profile

[WIP] Critique and help for a first bigger drawing

on: March 20, 2018, 09:05:07 am

Hello,

i'm working on a larger piece and i need some help and advice. As you can see, there are some leftover perspective tryouts (shadows on the left portions of left and right windows, inner portion of the left rim and the lower right perspetive sketch and different intensity shadow arcs on the inner rim).

I tried imagining the piece as being slightly tilted to the left with light coming from upper left direction with the inner part of the gate (where the symbols are) being deeper than the outer rim but i just can't visualise the complete thing.

Also, i'm afraid of experimenting with further colors of the gate itself, i added some details, but it still looks dull and lifeless.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I know the symbols on the right are smaller and overcrowded compared to the ones on the left :)

Offline seriatum

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Critique and help for a first bigger drawing

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:27:36 pm
To me, the dark outline around the whole thing is what is making it look a bit flat. I realise though that it may be a stylistic choice and in the context of what you're using it for it may make perfect sense. Are the blue runes meant to be glowing? If so they would probably be casting light around the rim, so perhaps putting some blue highlights in key places around there will help. A secondary darker grey around some of the edges adding a bit more contrast might also help flesh it out a bit.

Offline krmko

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 07:28:00 am
In the context of other art assets for the game, yes, outlines are necessary, so i'm afraid i can't do nothing about them. Good idea for the runes, i might add some glow reflection to make the inner rim look deeper and experiment with one more shade of gray.

Thanks for the advice.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:20:02 pm by krmko »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:33:41 am
Yah I think the black outline makes things look a bit flat. Actually painting the lighting around on the model (instead of outlining it black) correctly would help. You can add the black outline afterwards again. Good advice by serlatum too, the blue runes should cast light onto parts of the gate. One more shade of darkness in the shadows might help give the piece depth. Would this asset be for overhead or side scrolling game?