AuthorTopic: Dark Samus( and a few others)  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Dark Samus( and a few others)

on: November 22, 2006, 09:19:10 pm

Three versions of dark samus I made. I looked at an edit/rip by Infinity's End, but just for what DS looked like.

Thanatos, from Maple Story. I had a Maple Story monster feeling.

i love Xatu. Base colors->shaded Base colors->D/P colors. Bases are from GBC games. Thanks Serebii for references.

An animation test for wings.

I wanted to practice AA. Did I overdo it?

Hue shifting and stars. Lines by BAB.

More Hue-shifting, this time shawn(Ryudo)'s lines.

My current project, Mystery Dungeoun Garmeil.

I will change them all, but I probably won't do anything major.

btw, everyone here happens to be amazing. You all rock at pixels.

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Re: Dark Samus( and a few others)

Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 12:49:57 am
I suggest you darken the outlines somewhat on the third samus to find a middle ground between it and the first. The middle samus's border has 1px lines simply stacked on top of each other; it will never look good to use that technique. Try using a style that more or less antialiases the light blue to the black over a longer distance than conventional.

Thanatos looks like he could benefit from more highlights and a less harsh style of shading. Also, consider adding just a tad of color to your greys, plain grey isn't very interesting.

The parrot is very nice, but the one to the right is lacking contrast on the green, and some darkness variation of the inner lines would make tham more suited to the size. I really like the middle one now.

The bat doesn't really have much to crit, though the animation looks technically well-executed. One suggestion, though, is to bump it up to an even 4 colors and antialias the eyes, though that might not fit well with the style. Maybe post a side-by-side comparison?

I think you did overdo the aa on the practice. You might want to use that much if you're doing a glow, as in the samus, but for a normal object it's just too much.

For stars/space, I think this piece needs to be much darker overall. Try decreasing your saturation while you're at it. Also, the hue shifting is nice, but very strong. I would make it more subtle.

You have a nice start on the sword-bear thing, but once again the hueshifting is too strong and it could use a tone between the blue and the black. Also, the eyes aren't compliant with the style you have everywhere else, being sharp and not really as smooth as other things. One last thing is that you might want to use some different palettes or subpalettes to differentiate objects.

The butterfly-thing is nice, and I like the feather texture on the wingtips, but it does seem to lack clarity of features; I'm just guessing at your intentions here. I'm not sure exactly how to correct this, but that's why it's a public forum. XD

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 01:28:00 am
Just something quick before I go to bed. That aa is hurting my eyes. AA is to make things appreat smooth and not make them blurry.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 04:52:37 pm
I suggest you darken the outlines somewhat on the third samus to find a middle ground between it and the first. The middle samus's border has 1px lines simply stacked on top of each other; it will never look good to use that technique. Try using a style that more or less antialiases the light blue to the black over a longer distance than conventional.

Thanatos looks like he could benefit from more highlights and a less harsh style of shading. Also, consider adding just a tad of color to your greys, plain grey isn't very interesting.

The parrot is very nice, but the one to the right is lacking contrast on the green, and some darkness variation of the inner lines would make tham more suited to the size. I really like the middle one now.

The bat doesn't really have much to crit, though the animation looks technically well-executed. One suggestion, though, is to bump it up to an even 4 colors and antialias the eyes, though that might not fit well with the style. Maybe post a side-by-side comparison?

I think you did overdo the aa on the practice. You might want to use that much if you're doing a glow, as in the samus, but for a normal object it's just too much.

For stars/space, I think this piece needs to be much darker overall. Try decreasing your saturation while you're at it. Also, the hue shifting is nice, but very strong. I would make it more subtle.

You have a nice start on the sword-bear thing, but once again the hueshifting is too strong and it could use a tone between the blue and the black. Also, the eyes aren't compliant with the style you have everywhere else, being sharp and not really as smooth as other things. One last thing is that you might want to use some different palettes or subpalettes to differentiate objects.

The butterfly-thing is nice, and I like the feather texture on the wingtips, but it does seem to lack clarity of features; I'm just guessing at your intentions here. I'm not sure exactly how to correct this, but that's why it's a public forum. XD
DS: Yeah, I think tht works. But I looked at the phazon radiaton and I think it does glow like that. but I'll tr it.
Thanatos: Yeah, I have a harsh shading style. His character is a very dark, mysterious character, so I didn't want very many highlights. I also considered coloring the grays, but I just couldn't find the right colors to match well.
Parrot: I see what you mean, I guess I didn't use enough contrast. I'll fix that. I also like the middle.
Bat: YEah, I was aiming for just a plain black figure with red eyes, but I'll try the AA.
E: I knew it. I'll do what Ptoing suggested(Thanks ptoing!)
Dragon: I wanted the dragon to stick out, and high saturation made him come out. But I'll see what the lower saturation does, and I'll darken it, along with lessening the hue-shifting. I wanted the hue shifting drastic, just to try it out.
Cat-thing: The pallette is the same as the dragon I beleive, so I'll lessen it again. I was trying to see what it would look like in all the same colors. And I did mess up on the eyes.
butterfly thing: Yeah, the style doesn't really make features clear.

Thanks ptoing. That actually explains alot. And MAN that E is slick.
Thanks people!