AuthorTopic: The conjurer fighter  (Read 3815 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

The conjurer fighter

on: February 12, 2007, 04:25:16 pm
Over at Pixel there is a collaboration occurring where we are making fighter sprites to represent ourselves. I have chosen to use my avatar because... I'm shy...  :P. It was meant to be in street fighter/capcom style but i kinda messed that up by not paying enough attention to my work (plus the size is expected to be smaller). This is what i have at present so i need some C&C about how i could go about improving him.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 04:28:46 pm by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: The conjurer fighter

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 05:00:15 pm
pose pose pose pose pose!

He looks like a statue right now - lets see him casting some sick magic, or at least taunting or threatening the opposition - maybe calling down some crazy demon powers from the sky?

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 06:33:04 pm
pose pose pose pose pose!

He looks like a statue right now - lets see him casting some sick magic, or at least taunting or threatening the opposition - maybe calling down some crazy demon powers from the sky?

Actually, now that i look at him, i think it should stay that way for an idle pose at least :P You know, to make him look less threatening, but then have some really sick moves. If he's like a powerful warlock who can summon all kinds of weird stuff out of his sleeves with just raising a finger. I think that kind of characters are way more scary than ones that put a lot of effort to their moves.

Just a suggestion though. But please give him some really weird power. Like a gate to hell from his shadow...or something....

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 06:35:42 pm
I agree with Huzba. Did you ever see for example a final boss in a Final Fantasy with a frightning pose? No, they're always holding back, until they do so move that kind of nearly destroys the planet... I think it's kind of cool, but just a suggestion: Show his hands a bit, right now he looks like he's hiding them in his pocket.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 04:15:05 pm
Yeah the pose was intentionally relaxed, but i have certainly considered pose changes that might better convey character. I actually had originally intended to put his hands showing just out of the sleeves but held back because i didn't feel i could do hands as well as i wanted. But the lack of hands definitely diminishes the look of the pose and character in general, this is a quick update. I unfortunately no longer have an animation program that i can use to create solid animations for my pixel art  :'( this is because i moved out of home :P
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 04:47:22 pm
You could always use the Pro Motion trial to create the animations.

Although unless you're already using it, it can be tricky at first, but the program is awesome.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 05:29:32 pm

The pose he has right now isn't really very relaxed - he's standing up very straight and rigid like he's a soldier at attention. If you want him to look relaxed his back and shoulders should be arched forward more

This is exaggerated in order to make the point.

Though personally the name "Conjurer Fighter" makes me pine for something with a little more personality - like waving his hands and curling his fingers Dracula-style, ready to cast a spell. That's just personal preference tho'.
I mild from suffer dislexia.