AuthorTopic: The sweaty dudes!  (Read 8521 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

The sweaty dudes!

on: September 16, 2005, 12:07:48 am
This is a piece for an Atari ST demo, which should be finished at the beginning of november. I will do some more pieces for it, which i wont post before the release tho. Consider it a sneakpreview.

Thanks to Helm, lief and pep for excellent crits during the process.

16 colours.

And a lil progress animation as always.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 12:11:29 am by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: The sweaty dudes!

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 12:36:27 am
nice edit. :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 01:02:11 am
Respect and adoration.

Offline garsh

• I'll trade you 9 mouses for a pencil.
    • View Profile

meaningless blathering of a complete amateur

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 01:03:21 am
I doubt you're looking for more critique at this point, but consider this analysis.

At first I thought you could have gotten much better mileage out of 16 colors. To the eye, after all, it only looks like four little spud people who are all orange with shadows and speculars. Looking closer I could see several shades of blue which I considered evidence to my supposition. Then I started to notice how you used all those blues to such great effect; blending them into obsurdly smooth transitions and making good use of them. Then my eye wandered around in the reds and yellows. I can see that having so many shades so close together allowed you to get away with texture details that would have been impractical otherwise and they're not just for flash. They add a level of substance to your piece that gives it a unique identity and creates visual interest without just making a busy image to dazzle the viewer.

In other words, it seems simple, and even wasetful at first glance. Exploring the work, though, forces me to admit you spent your pixels wisely. Them little orange dudes are neat, too.

Offline Pegucha

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 02:07:44 am
Insatiable coloring! Keep up the great work

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 02:46:33 am
good points garsh: in demoscene artwork, high definition of every and each shade isn't as much a point as in sprite artwork.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 09:48:43 pm
thats awsome.
only a few things i can spot.

the guy on our left, his hand is too rounded on the left side of it. it doenst seem to have the same 2section like the bigguys hand. It looks more like an inflated rubberglove. I suggest though instead of making it that rounded, bring the edge down a bit more, and making more of a curve instead of a gradual one.

Same far left guy, his other hand goes straight into his arm. only separtation between arm and hand is his knuckles. Knuckles are only about halfway down the hand, so maby 2 pixels above, make a little indent to indicate a wrist.

Also since your lightsource is hardright, there should be a shadow on the left side of the farleft guys lips. A shadow should also be dropped on the short guys forehead behind the fingers.

The big guy in the middle now.. his hand waving looks great. But now its the opposite extreme to what i was saying with the hand and arm looking the same. HIS hand looks like one of this big foam fingers.. where it jut rests atop the arm out of proportion. I completly understand what your doing though, with the large hands small arms. I tend to do something similar in my own pieces. But now you just need to make the transition between wrist and arm alittle better. It just looks really awkward to me. (heh nice nipples on him)

Lastly, the short fatman in the back right should be darker than the rest. Since he is furthest from front he should have more of a shadow to create more of an illusion in depth.

but yepyep looks great!
i really like how you use ambient. Your dithering syle also really suits this piece, with the random circles and squares. Its great.

goodjob again

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 12:21:02 am
GROAR, you made me edit it. I took some of your points into account and also fixed some othe rminor funkyness (see that strange block of pixels right to the leftmost sweatstreak on the leftmost guy! WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!)

About the wrist on the big guy, i would throw that into the style category. If i was going for anatomicaly correct one might as well say that the teeth would not even fit into their skulls (in the case of the big guy) or that the eyes are different sizes on the two grinning ones D:

But thanks for the crits, tried to improve it a bit.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 09:02:42 am
Really nice, as I told you a few times already.

But again, as said, though I understand what you told me about it, the big hand still bugs me.
You, kind of, dragged the focus away from the jaggedness on those things on the big guy's head using that blue highlight.
Couldnt it also be applied on the hand?

Anyway, just that.
Impatient to see the other pieces :)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 11:14:57 pm
heh. looks good.
nice edit.
ya i wasnt too sure about how you wanted that hand to look.
I was just going with consistency on that crit, since the guy on furthest left isnt that extreme of hand to arm.
but now im interested in seeing the others.