AuthorTopic: Over the fence Shoot-Out  (Read 3006 times)

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Over the fence Shoot-Out

on: November 22, 2006, 01:48:57 am
Hello all!
--
I need serious help and suggestions and critics about this piece.
He's missing an arm, because I have no clue how to keep the balance with it.
And I'd appreciate suggestions for a background.
EDIT: His anatomy is off, but it's was really my choice.

Comments and critics as always! And, feel free to edit it as you think it suits better.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:51:29 am by SolidIdea »

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Re: Over the fence Shoot-Out

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 04:34:58 am
--> -->
dropped 2 colours in the first edit and 4 colours in the second. I think the pink you used as a highlight is a bit much even though it is a stylistic thing it doesn't seem to convey the depth a typical highlight would. as you mentioned there are anatomy problems and though it was your choice I made a bit of a change showing an alternative (its a bit off towards the very middle of the abs but gives an idea of how abdominal muscles look). I like the piece its distortion of shape conveys an interesting look.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 09:17:41 am
i like the foreshortening going on with the legs..
as for keeping balance with the new arm, I would try sketching out various possible poses it could be, includeing poses which may cover up some of your current pixelwork.. (often times people get stuck with balancing issues when their current work theyve done doesn't leave them too many options, and they dont consider options which may cover up some of their work).. this is a good reason to plan your image out first or atleast think ahead a certain amount.
personally, I would probably try an elbow forward, forearm across midsection type of pose to keep with the flow..

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 10:17:54 am
I wouldn't go with the arm across his body although at first it seems appropriate but as his body already suggest his shoulder is flexing backwards (thus stretching his abs and peks in the way it has). I overlooked the arm pose question part when i got caught up with the edits :P but this new edit is probably what I would go with.

It suggests tensing of muscles by holding a closed fist. Most associate this with someone firing a gun and it is already conveyed by his teeth gritting and arm looking forced forward anticipating recoil (which is a bit dangerous in reality as it could injure the elbow, but looks okay here). It is tucked backwards which the movement of the piece supports.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 05:22:27 pm
1st Zeid:
Thank you for you comment :) The anatomy on the abs were really wrong  :P The part that I said it was my choice were the big hands and muscular neck with tiny body  :P So I fixed that.
As for the color count and highlights, the light should be above and slightly behind him, so that whole part of the torso wouldn't be quite iluminated.

Alex Hanson-White:
Thank you for your comment too  :) In my first two sketchs (I sketch on the paper, and pixelize looking at it) i had planned the position of his right arm, but when I started pixelling, it became really ugly and awkward (mainly because of my pixelling skill). One, his body was twisted alligned with the head and his right arm was shooting forward too, and in the other, his right arm was behind like when you put your hand in something to jump it (sorry if I'm not being clear).
But I'll still try to do other hand poses, that gives more flow and dynamic to the piece.

2nd Zeid:
Yes, this edit was helpful, thank you :) I made about the same hand pose, but more inclined and stretched towards the screen while holding a second gun.

--
And now, the update:

Any background suggestions?

Comments and critics as always  ;D