AuthorTopic: [C+C] Hairstyle study  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Durrahan

• View Profile

[C+C] Hairstyle study

on: March 06, 2018, 12:07:24 pm
I worked on this project for little over a month now. I'm trying to achieve a consistent art style and improve my craft. Feel free to critique it in every way possible.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Hairstyle study

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 03:49:57 am
They look fine to me, the sharp highlight lines give a plastic vibe but I think that is intended for the barbie look, perhaps the outline could use the second darkest share instead of the darkest one, but this is it, I sincerely don't have much to add to the hairs, nice work. The reddish darkest skin color showing through the hair's alpha is  clashing with the hair color, I would go for a more purplish desaturated shade with enough contrast with the dark hair. Also the jaw lines read a bit like banding, but think that is not the focus here.

Offline Durrahan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:18:58 am
the sharp highlight lines give a plastic vibe but I think that is intended for the barbie look
Ah that hurt, I actually want them to look lively. I've a different sets of eyes and mouths, which might not look so barbie'ish. I can post them too, I you would like. But actually the highlight lines bothered me too. I went over multiple styles to make it look coherent, what do you think of this more minimalistic approach?

I also changed the line work to a desaturated shade like you suggested and I like it. Dunno how I should highlight the afros tho.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 02:06:51 pm
Afros have too rough a texture to have highlights, so don't highlight them.

I think the "minimalistic" approach still looks a bit plastic, because the circles don't correspond to the shape of the hair in most cases. Instead of using ovals, try something that flows with the hair, and shows the locks:

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 08:30:06 pm
I second eishiya, perhaps going a little more on the length of the highlights, in your first take the first hair from the left on the second row has a great highlight. Not every shape fits that much of the brighter shade but that one is nice. Don't bother so much with consistency to the point of making the lights look the same, just keep your already steady technique across the hairs and go wild with it. Also sorry for the unintentional burn, it happens in critique  :D

Offline Durrahan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:12:36 pm
I tried myself now on some highlight variations. I personally like the third from the left the most. But I'm still not satisfied with the highlights, might as well remove them entirely, because right now its way too noise for my taste. Any suggestions?

Besides the highlights attempts, I introduced a second layer of shadow and increased the details a bit, which you can see on the first hairstyle.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:15:10 pm
I think the second from left is the best one too! I think on some of these styles, the highlights are unnecessary, but they do help give more volume to most of them.

I don't think the second hair shadow colour is necessasry. If anything, I think there could be a bit more contrast between the existing two main colours instead.

Offline Durrahan

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 04:27:18 pm
I increased the contrast a bit by changing the hue and saturation. I also added more detail to two other hairstyles and added the highlights there too.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 09:17:35 pm
That is simply great ;D
As hair isnt perfectly plastic highlighted areas still absorb some light (except for unrealistic modelling photos with exaggerated burnout), and you rendered that pretty well as proper cell-shading.

Offline Durrahan

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 10:58:07 am
After a long time I picked up this project again and finally almost finished it. I removed the highlights for now, couldn't quite life with it. I added two new ones and changed others almost completely. Some are still not finished(i.e. second to the last), but I'm working on it... slowly.