AuthorTopic: Sprite bases  (Read 4859 times)

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Sprite bases

on: February 28, 2018, 07:04:33 pm
Hi looking for help and critique for these sprite bases

Something about them just doesn't feel right, especially the side view, obviously these are just base sprites and will be used as a base for different characters with different hairstyles and clothing but just want to get the base sprite done and animated so I have something to work with.

Here is a quick rush job to get a small idea of how they might look clothed.

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Re: Sprite bases

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:38:46 pm
Ok tried to do the walk animation, the back view seems a little borked.

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 05:15:15 pm
Walk animation for the female sprite

any critiques? Does it need an extra animation frame inbetween the steps?

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 06:14:19 pm
I find it's typically hard to make a convincing walk cycle without at least 6 frames.  You can sometimes get away with 4 though, when you essentially just have the two most important points of the walk cycle for each leg:  the "contact point", where the heel strikes the ground, and the point where the character's knees is higher in the air as the character is bringing their leg forward. 

You should avoid using the standing pose as a frame in walking.  Although a lot of games do this, it creates a shuffle effect rather than a real walk.

Here's a gif tutorial that might help you out: https://twitter.com/saint11/status/905098438571958272?lang=en

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 11:49:35 am
Yeah I know what you mean, guess I got a bit lazy with the walk cycle hoping I could get away with the standing pose for the middle of the walk cycle but I do notice the shuffle effect. Is this somewhat closer to the mark?

Also any critiques on the sprites themselves? Not entirely thrilled with the side view for the female sprite but not sure how to change it.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 06:43:17 pm
Something that was bothering me here was the lack of a proper heel on the foot.

I fixed that myself but there's other things you need to fix here, the positioning on the forward-stride of the forward leg especially. It shouldn't be bent still at full extension!

PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 05:29:44 pm
Ah ok yeah, I think I might need to re-do the walk animation entirely with more inbetween frames but before I do that I think I want to get the standing poses correct first.

These are the latest iterations

Any recommendations?

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 11:33:48 am

Ok I think I fixed a few of the problems though any further critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 03:34:01 pm
The female sprite

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 05:06:56 pm
I am not qualified to talk about animation, but I can't agree with the head's shading, is the light coming from directly the front of the character? That doesn't seem to be the case from the rest of the body. Removing the darker shade from the top of the head would surely improve it, the head shading should be minimal on the back of the head and fuse with the outline of the top part.

Offline GDawgTheFab

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 06:16:57 pm
I am not qualified to talk about animation, but I can't agree with the head's shading, is the light coming from directly the front of the character? That doesn't seem to be the case from the rest of the body. Removing the darker shade from the top of the head would surely improve it, the head shading should be minimal on the back of the head and fuse with the outline of the top part.

Yeah you are absolutely right, don't know what I was thinking there, the light source is supposed to be somewhat more neutral coming from the top front. I don't think I was too bothered with it however because that is just the sprite base and that part of the head will probably be covered up by hair on most characters.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 06:27:30 pm
got it, just alerting because it is good practice to try to keep all stuff uniform, either for training or, for example to avoid unconsciously following the base shading when drawing hairs or hats. We naturally draw a lot stuff that never gets to show, and we do it as practice or just for fun, but every bit adds to our skill, like the muscles we draw on rpg sprite bases that are always hidden (the infamous musclebaby thing, search the forums for that term if you want some hilarity)