AuthorTopic: Deserters (cats, ww2, isometria, turn-based)  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Dene

• View Profile

Deserters (cats, ww2, isometria, turn-based)

on: February 22, 2018, 11:21:29 pm
Title: Deserters
Genre: turn-based tactical RPG
Engine: GMS 2
Platforms: Win, Mac

Hi guys! We already make game about cats in WW2 setting for some time (but it is still early WIP) and at last decided to share our progress with you.

Very briefly about the game: Single player, WW2 setting, turn-based tactical combat, plot about the horrors of war. Pixel art, top quality animations, height system with multiple floors. If you grew up on such games as Fallout (1, 2), Baldur's Gate and other isometric masterpieces from 90's, then you'll enjoy our game (I hope).

More in-game gifs:

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/deserters
And follow in Twitter: https://twitter.com/dene_pixelhands

Feel free to ask questions! Thanks!

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Re: Deserters (cats, ww2, isometria, turn-based)

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:01:48 am
This looks like an awesome idea (and execution). I think this choice of realistic proportions really hit the spot, making soldiers uncomfortably inhuman.
The tail animation when idle can easily mark soldiers that you can still move in this turn :)
I would pick larger font size for stats that change during game. I mean, it's not an issue that individual unit's mobility and max health stay small, as you will mostly watch them to compare your units. But the current moves, wound status, and probably ammo should be drawn with a well-defined font.
I do like the size of characters compared to screen size, but aren't you going to have an issue of battles where characters are more than one screen apart ? (Making it difficult to determine LOF and cover)

Offline Dene

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 01:31:01 pm
This looks like an awesome idea (and execution). I think this choice of realistic proportions really hit the spot, making soldiers uncomfortably inhuman.
The tail animation when idle can easily mark soldiers that you can still move in this turn :)
I would pick larger font size for stats that change during game. I mean, it's not an issue that individual unit's mobility and max health stay small, as you will mostly watch them to compare your units. But the current moves, wound status, and probably ammo should be drawn with a well-defined font.
I do like the size of characters compared to screen size, but aren't you going to have an issue of battles where characters are more than one screen apart ? (Making it difficult to determine LOF and cover)
Thanks for feedback! That's just 1st version of UI so there is a high possibility that it will be changed in future. For now we already have feature of scaling it ingame.

Yeah, we may face the problem of scale in future because pixel art doesn't zoom quite well. Mini-map and proper level design will help here.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:42:42 pm
How big would the game screen be? If it's allowed to be full-screen on modern monitors at 1x zoom, the scale should be fine. You could also make the tiles a little smaller to fit more units/space on the screen, if the other units' sizes allow for that.

Offline Dene

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 08:55:45 pm
How big would the game screen be? If it's allowed to be full-screen on modern monitors at 1x zoom, the scale should be fine. You could also make the tiles a little smaller to fit more units/space on the screen, if the other units' sizes allow for that.
Actually, if you have monitor big enough (really big one! :D) it will be possible to see all the map of the level (we have not defined size of our levels yet). We already made tiles smaller, yeah. Thanks for feedback!