AuthorTopic: walking Barbarian...  (Read 14672 times)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: walking Barbarian...

Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 06:23:07 pm
Pretty sure it's an ass-cape Gill.

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 06:51:59 pm
yes, it's an ass-cape but either on using that I'm not sure however :P
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 09:31:33 pm
Ass-cape... That just makes me giggle for some reason. lol

Anyway, I like the look! The cape and sword certainly gives an additional "badass" look to him, which kinda shows that he's gone far in his quest.

And the sword looks great. Nice and broad, which suits a big burly man.

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 11:00:10 pm
Whoa, I was just working on some ambient lighting using the grey of the gloves, and I screwed up, I think I need some help with this :lol:

P.S. dunno if image works because I used Imageshack. Photobucket is off... :ouch:

-Edit: Ok so I went back to basic, but not completely, I let the yellow in the iron as I like it, and the grey in the abs and chest. I don't know what you mean with the legs of baccaman, because they're almost identical, I think it's the hair the makes his version smoother!

Old:         New:

???
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 08:41:54 am by KilledBySuicide »
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 01:35:47 am
The solid black hair was working well and looked nice. I say keep it that way. I like that you removed ass-cape and sword. They were hurting your barbarian. Ax the ambient in your latest version. Doesn't look good at all.

Dont be afraid to use flat spaces, either. These later edits are getting very cluttered, when your initial designs were already great. If you're keeping hte sword try it out flat shaded like the hair was. I think the added contrast btwn it and the body would be more beneficial for the player and look more pleasing as well.

I like the progress, but go back to Bacca's edit and take a look at how he handled moving the leg+foot from its farthest back position. Your version still doesn't have the fluid motion of Bacca's at this part of the walk. Do this and.... PERFECT!

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 09:26:21 am
The solid black hair was working well and looked nice. I say keep it that way. I like that you removed ass-cape and sword. They were hurting your barbarian. Ax the ambient in your latest version. Doesn't look good at all.

Dont be afraid to use flat spaces, either. These later edits are getting very cluttered, when your initial designs were already great. If you're keeping hte sword try it out flat shaded like the hair was. I think the added contrast btwn it and the body would be more beneficial for the player and look more pleasing as well.

I like the progress, but go back to Bacca's edit and take a look at how he handled moving the leg+foot from its farthest back position. Your version still doesn't have the fluid motion of Bacca's at this part of the walk. Do this and.... PERFECT!

with all due respect... all I did was flip the toes up on the Extremes (legs furthest open)   :huh: :-[ - oh and did that secondary movement on the hair... ?
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 11:56:48 am
I didn't want to start a new topic for this, since it's still about the barbarian. I start working on a portrait for him, still wip but I don't really know if the semi-serious style is sufficient enough. Maybe it's better to go for a more cartoony almost manga style?

I'm also not sure about the facial features, well this is what I've so far:

As you can tell by the image, fantasy portraits are not my strongest point :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 02:01:40 pm by KilledBySuicide »
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 02:10:48 pm
Okay, this is probably going to sound and look discouraging. You've shown in the past that you can take critique and go with it to remarkable result. The portrait is very wrong in many ways. You seem to lack knowledge of how to structure a face. Now, it can be hidden by nitpick critique like the one in offer around here, but it would be best if you hit the books on it. Now, as resident apeman, I took it upon me to take it um, several steps further to show you where to aim for. This edit isn't really helpful in the short term, but should outline the deficiencies at hand. I can break it down for you, but in the end it's going to sound like 'learn to draw human faces' which is what you should do.

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 02:31:13 pm
thanks helm, actually it just motivates me more. You're right that I've lack of the knowledge of the structure of the human face, but I've to say that this was based on a really fast sketch I draw in a more cartoony way. heh, the point is that I have multiple books about how to draw humans ( Anatomy, Western Comics, Manga/Anime, Fantasy) however I never actually did something with it besides looking and use it as a reference and I don't draw that much, just out of laziness to be honest. And to be given a critique like this means to me that I have to be more serious about drawing etc. You may say it's stupid of me, and it's is but that's simply how it is, nothing to change about that and I am glad that someone kicked my ass to grab the books and to do something useful with it, so that is exactly what I am about to do :y:
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 02:32:05 pm
Rock on. That attitude will get you far.