AuthorTopic: walking Barbarian...  (Read 14670 times)

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

walking Barbarian...

on: November 19, 2006, 09:53:39 pm
haha, all those walking anim. drives me nuts (in a good way), so I attempted one myself! It's my first solid animation, and I think I did a good job on it. Ofcourse there are some glitches, and details are not correct at some frames. But I don't know how to make it better, C+C is welcome...

I like it better at 2× zoom
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Re: walking Barbarian...

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 09:54:36 pm
The head turning does not flow with the rest in my opinion.
s'all good.

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 02:04:55 am
The major problem with the head is that he turns to the left but does not do this same motion to the right (in fact there are a number of frames where his face does not turn at all).  You may want to make his head come to the point of practically facing us.  Other then that the animation is very smooth and a very barbarian like walk.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 05:35:07 am
Good looking! Head is an issue. Looks like it's viewing to the right for too long, then quickly looks left. Create a loop that uses a 'center' twice in the anim: center, right, center, left

Keep in mind the chin line, as well as the ear/neck linework, too. They seem to flicker a little.

Simple, attractive coloring. With that dark red, the bright saturated red is really outstanding, sexy, and helps with the walking motion, mostly: In the one frame where the right foot is pretty far back, there seems to be too much red on the waist.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 06:17:57 am
Sweet! Reminds me of asterix & obelix :P

Yeah, the head is an issue. It looks like he's nodding his head in a 'no' every time he does two steps.

Another thing I only noticed at 4x zoom: he looks like he hops every time to land at the same time as the other foot. It looks like he's walking normally at normal speed, but I looked at the frames individually and I saw it.

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 08:09:44 am
thanks for the comments

It's good to hear that the animation is smooth and the pants are sexy :P.
I see why the head is a problem and I fixed it, along with the ears and shading of the pants, does it look better now, or leave the turning out at all?

@ceddo: I'm not quite sure if I know what you mean by the "hopping", could you please explain it to me. Unless you meant that the feet are to close to eachother in two frames..

So here's the update:

Different Palette:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:44:47 pm by KilledBySuicide »
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 01:51:20 pm
nice... good stuff...

The 3/4 view is wicked... a really good approach IMO... this stops the legs and arms from 'strobing' if done perfectly square on... particularly if you use the same arm/leg shapes as reference for each other... now - a couple of crits...

One thing I tend to do (regarding the head motion) is to twist the head ion the opposit direction to the shoulders... (which is opposite to what you've got here) so when the Right shoulder is forward, the face is fully revealed, and vice versa... tis looking good though regardless...

Another thing you need to do to make the walk sequence 'read' a little better is the EXTREME frame - that is the one where the legs are at their widest point... the toes on the leading foot need to point up... with the heel making contact with the floor... (I've a made a few edits with this mind) - another thing I noticed, and perhaps cos you had it 'limping' at one point, is that you've pushed the whole sequence up by 1 pixel so that the feet lost contact on the EXTREMES... now if you're doing a run, then fair enough... but this is a walk... and one thing a RUN does that a WALK doesn't is leave the floor... whilst walking at least 1 foot is always in contact with the gorund at any one point, BOTH are on the EXTREME keyframes.

And Finally... to add that stylish touch... you want to give the hair a little more 'loosness' (is that a word ?!?) - to do this, on the frames AFTER he drops down (his head bobs up and down) then keep the hair line high... and THEN drop it on the following frame - or the one after if you want it really floaty... this is what's called secondary movement... and can be applied to all sorts of things - like, scarfs, and capes and things that are LOOSE on the body... sword scabbards etc...

I've made a few edits myself here (my changes mainly in a VERY dark blue so you can see them if you pull it into your editing package) - It's not 100% correct but will give youi a guide to work from...

yours   my edit

All in all though... good stuff... keep on pushin!

Cheers
Pete :)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 02:43:35 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 01:53:32 pm
bacca, if that ground scroll underneath is there to show how many pixels the sprite would move through the animation, it's quite wrong. There's a strong stride there which would average about 3-4 pixels per frame really.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 02:39:18 pm
yep I know. But lunch ended before I got chance to edit it out... :P should be gone now...

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 02:42:53 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 03:27:15 pm
great ;D, thanks for the comments and edits baccaman21!

It's true what you said about the extreme frames, when I started this animation it was supposed to be a running cycle. But walking seems easier to begin with to learn the basics!

I tend do to most things you said and did in the edit, but I'm not sure about the motion of the head in a opposite way. I'm afraid he's going to look like a mannequin on a catwalk if I do that, but I can try it..  :-\

So this is what I got now, still not 100% perfect but I like it:

in the shadows, lurking.